Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Californicate
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Californicate Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I have to confess, not being from the West, I had always thought Asa's "Californicate" was a term that he invented. After all, he is quite clever! I read a funny article today about people in Las Vegas blaming the Californicators for smoking bans in bars. Apparently "Californicate" was coined 30 years ago in Oregon with a bumper sticker that said, "Don't Californicate Oregon." Is that the case? I tried to look it up, but it's in no dictionaries, except those unreliable slang ones.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
You mean to say you've never heard of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' album named Californication? Eek

Your education is sadly lacking. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
You mean to say you've never heard of the Red Hot Chili Peppers' album named Californication? Eek

Although I have never actually listed to their music through choice, I did hear them rehearsing in Hyde Park. This was particularly unfortunate as I was trying to make myself heard at Speakers' Corner, where I was making a speech on beer.

You can see a recording here if you're interested www.retraining-uk.com

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your education is sadly lacking.

Sadly lacking, I agree. Wink

On the other hand, they could have gotten the idea from Asa, right? Razz

Hey, I was looking for the origin of this word. I was surprised that it wasn't in any of the dictionaries.

posted Hide Post
To the best of my knowledge, the Oregon reference is correct. And the timing matches.

Bob

Posts: 56 | Location: Santa Clara County, CAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I'm heading off for Oregon in an hour or so. I'll ask some of the proverbial men in the street. Maybe even Asa when I see him later in the week. Wink

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, have fun with Asa and Sunflower! They are a great couple, and I am sure they will forgive your californication. Wink