Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Puns Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
If you're trying to write a love poem but have to strain a bit, exercising poetic license, would that be a case of poetic licentious?

Step right up, folks, and put your puns and groaners here! Big Grin

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
The paper had a long article about toe-fungus, entrenched under the toe-nails and impervious to attack.

It referred to folks who are ungually fungal - with ungual meaning in effect "pertaining to or having a nail, claw or hoof."

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

Step right up, folks, and put your puns and ... here! Big Grin

I don't normally display my puns in bublic.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Reviving a thread
This poor thread never went anywhere...so I am reviving it. Wink

Besides, I have a punny favor to ask of all my Wordcraft colleagues. I need a pun! Three of us wait for the train together each day, and we've developed a nice friendship. Since I travel a fair amount in my job, I am sometimes not there. They have come up with a great pun when I am not there (keep in mind, my real name is Nancy): They are footloose and Nancy free!

Now, here's the request. Charles will be gone for the next 2 weeks, and we'd like to come up with something similar for him. However, we are having trouble. Wordcrafters, does anything come to mind? You could use Chuck another appropriate nickname for Charles. I am counting on you!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
You've chucked him over? No, perhaps not. Needs more work.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
As you enter the bus, "Up us two, but not up Chuck?" Confused

Or maybe he used to bus tables, but now his bussing's been tabled. Or when he shows back up, "I guess you've forgotten the drill, Chuck." (Drill chuck being the holder of the drill bit)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Asa Lovejoy>,

posted Hide Post
Charles has probably been assailed with upchuck his entire life. I wouldn't go there.

Can you baby the Chuck out with the bathwater?

Probably not.

Well if you were footloose and Nancy-free, then you wouldn't have a Charles in the world.

Maybe a stretch (the 'h', 'l', and 's' are silent.)

Taking the train...could you be...

Chuggin along, on the Chuck-a-less-a Choo-Choo?

You could even sing it.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I like that, Myth! Big Grin I will ask Casey about that tomorrow when we are waiting "Chuck-a-less" at the train. Then, of course, we must come up with one for Casey, though I am suspecting that will be easier....something like, "There is no joy in Mudville..."

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will ask Casey about that tomorrow when we are waiting "Chuck-a-less" at the train

That'll give him a few "chuckles", I'm sure.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will ask Casey about that tomorrow
Not Casey Jones, surely? You have a ready-made source there!

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I don't even know his last name, which I suppose is odd. It was a long time before I even knew their first names! We just used to talk until the train came, though now we've gotten to be better friends.

I sang the Chuggin' along, on the Chuck-a-less-a Choo-Choo, being quite pleased with myself. Apparently I am such a bad singer that Casey didn't get it. Roll Eyes Casey said that Charles reminds him of an Admiral, but I reminded him that we are, after all, riding a train, and not a boat. Anyway, it's a keeper for me!

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Are you riding the Chuckless Wagon? Hungry for better puns?

Does Charles have his own Charlie Horse and no longer need a train?

Aww . . . who gives a chuck?

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Oh, I like that last one, CW. Big Grin

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Proffered by a co-worker when I questioned why we mispronounce "the Eiffel Tower:" "We do it because Americans see it and exclaim, 'Wow, that tower's quite an eye full!'"

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now I need one for Casey. Any ideas?

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Let's leave a spot for him just in Casey decides to show up.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
You Brits will recognise this company: http://company.monster.com/schindl/

Yes, there really is a Schindler's lift!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I ride up to my staffroom in one every day and always wonder if it's possible to see the name plate without thinking of the movie.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Somehow we feel sure that when all the tests are completed and the time comes for someone to pay for it all, someone will be informed that the Czech is in the male.

quote:
Last Updated: Thursday, 11 October 2007, 01:49 GMT 02:49 UK

Czech parents to exchange babies

Two Czech couples whose babies were mixed up after hospital births 10 months ago have met to prepare for an exchange of their children.
The apparent hospital error came to light after one father thought his daughter did not resemble him.

DNA tests proved that neither he nor his wife could be the parents. The other couple is now also being tested.

The two couples are planning to sue the hospital, which has launched an inquiry to determine how the mix-up occurred.

Nikola and Veronika were both born on 9 December last year in a clinic in Trebic, 165 km (100 miles) south of the Czech capital, Prague.

But several months after his daughter's birth, Libor Broza had a DNA test, because he thought Nikola did not look like him. The test was negative.

Tests on his partner Jaroslava Trojanova also showed that she could not be the mother.

Last week the couple met Jan and Jaroslava Cermak and their daughter Veronika.

The Cermaks are also having tests done, but already both couples have agreed to swap their daughters before the end of the year.

"Of course, we are happy, but on the other hand, we also feel terrible," Jaroslava Trojanova told Czech radio.

The police are investigating the case, and the hospital has launched an inquiry into what it called a "regrettable case".

Mr Broza and Ms Trojanova plan to seek Kc10m ($510,000) in damages.

A child psychologist who is working with the couples in the run-up to their baby exchange said it would be more difficult for the mothers to cope than for the children.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I
m glad both parents were Praguematic about the exchange. No doubt when the right child went missing, they named it Mstislav.

Picture of TrossL
posted Hide Post
Mahatma Gandhi, as you know, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him .(Oh, man, this is so bad, it's good)..... A super calloused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

My dad sent this to me in an e-mail today and it is probably really old, but this is the first I've heard of it.

Posts: 784 | Location: Atlanta, GAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
K: In response to your query for puns,

Dear God:

I understand how You have made some everyday problems difficult of solution, in order that our will be tested and our resolve strengthened

However, after replacing the flapper and then the float valve and finally the refill tube–each twice–with no apparent results, I finally uncovered the source of the tinkle (no pun intended) in spite of all Your efforts to delude me

K: If you'd wish to see the rest of this letter please contact me anytime dalehileman@verizon.net