Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    brain glue
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

brain glue Login/Join

posted
Imaginary substance to help you reorder your thinking

Only around 2000 Ghits, while few of the online dicts have picked it up

Does any of you actually put it (the expr, not the substance) to everyday use

Thanks all

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Never heard it.

I do sometimes use the expression - stolen from the original radio version of The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy -

"I think your brain's come undone",

when someone says something particularly stupid.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
If we reorder our thinking now will it be here in time for Christmas ??

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
hehehe - good one JT.

I like the expression, Dale, but I've not heard it before you asked about it. I might need to add it to my everyday lexicon.

I don't even use the Hitchhiker's phrase Bob uses. I do, however, sometimes quote the movie Joe vs. the Volcano and attribute my own lapses to a "brain cloud".

Maybe if I had more brain glue I wouldn't get so many clouds.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I've not heard of it either, though "brain fart" is common enough.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
k: Not as common as I might have imagined. Gets the better part of a half million Ghits but I don't find it in H-C Dict of Am. Slang

...suggesting it might be fairly new, esp since it gets only one hit in Urban Dict

Edited to observe that Ghits could be interpreted to mean gigahits

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,

posted Hide Post
Wordspy reported brain fart almost 10 years ago, but claimed the term means "Quick-and-dirty creative output. The byproduct of a mind stuffed with food for thought that can therefore produce information without effort."

I think this definition is four-square wrong. Comments?

Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wordnerd:
Wordspy reported brain fart almost 10 years ago, but claimed the term means "Quick-and-dirty creative output. The byproduct of a mind stuffed with food for thought that can therefore produce information without effort."

I think this definition is four-square wrong. Comments?

Almost the opposite meaning is given by Netlingo.com which gives us [EMAIL]http://www.netlingo.com/lookup.cfm?term=brain%20fart[/EMAIL]
:
a.k.a. a senior moment
An inelegant way of saying, "I forgot," it refers to your mind going blank. Someone may say, "Sorry, I just had a brain fart." It can also refer to a situation in which someone speaks "out of turn," especially to a superior. For example, if you march into your boss's office and speak your mind without first thinking about the possible consequences, you've just had a brain fart.

Intuitively I would have thought it implied drivle or garbled nonsense.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Wordnerd, I saw that definition and questioned it too. Normally Word Spy is reliable, isn't it?

posted Hide Post
Hey guys all this is very pertinent and valuable to the slang freak such as I. Please don't quit so early--please--Thanks

Edited to remark that I won't make it a habit, but bubbling in hope for additional input since there seems to be some disagreement--no pun nor double-entendre intended

Thanks again all

This message has been edited. Last edited by: dalehileman,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Dale, I don't know that there is much more to be found. On Google I found a reference to another board where they said that "brain glue" is used in wordworking. I also found this link about the "brain's 'glue'" being discovered. But I know you're looking for references to the slang use of this phrase. Sorry.

posted Hide Post
k: Thank you most profusely for that link