Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Britannia Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I am reading McCullough's "1776." He was talking about how patriotic England was at that time, with 2 anthems, "God Save the King" and "Rule Britannia."

Do we still use the word "Britannia?" It is the female personification of Great Britain?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aput
posted Hide Post
The original personification was on Roman coins, with some of the attributes of the later representation. The modern one is based on one of Charles II's mistresses. She's been used on the coins ever since: formerly on the old cartwheel penny (the big one introduced in the 1790s), and with decimalization she's been on the 50p. She is seated, wearing a helmet, and carrying a trident and olive branch. At her feet are a lion and a shield with (oddly) the flag on it. If I recall rightly, the lion was introduced onto Victorian coins by combining traditional Britannia imagery with Una and the lion from The Faerie Queene.

The name is often used for various things, including the last royal yacht, recently retired, and the "Cool Britannia" campaign.

Posts: 502 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aput:
The original personification was on Roman coins, with some of the attributes of the later representation. The modern one is based on one of Charles II's mistresses. She's been used on the coins ever since: formerly on the old cartwheel penny (the big one introduced in the 1790s), and with decimalization she's been on the 50p. She is seated, wearing a helmet, and carrying a trident and olive branch. At her feet are a lion and a shield with (oddly) the flag on it. If I recall rightly, the lion was introduced onto Victorian coins by combining traditional Britannia imagery with Una and the lion from The Faerie Queene.

The name is often used for various things, including the last royal yacht, recently retired, and the "Cool Britannia" campaign.

For pictures of the various depictions of Britannia, see here.

For the words of Rule Britannia, see here and you can listen to a sound clip of the first verse and chorus here although, as a singer myself, I don't like her phrasing. Her voice is pleasant but, like nearly all "popular" singers, she breathes in all the wrong places and thus loses the sense of the words Frown.