Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marmalade Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I asked for some marmalade with my English muffin and got some blackberry jam. For some reason, I had always thought marmalade was an orange jam, but of course I am wrong.

When I looked it up tonight, interestingly, I found that it comes from words meaning apples and quince. I wonder how it evolved to meaning a general jam...or, as one dictionary said, a citrus jam in England.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
For some reason, I had always thought marmalade was an orange jam, but of course I am wrong.

You would be 100% right in the UK - but I can't speak for the eccentricities of other nations.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I always think of marmalade as having orange peel in it, too. It seems like a beefier version of jam.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
From one of the sites linked to by jerry:
quote:
British marmalade is made with oranges. Usually the bitter, or Seville, variety of orange is used, replicating the flavour of the early orange. Other British marmalades can be made from the citrus fruits: lemons, grapefruit and limes. The use of the citrines is peculiar to the British.
As CW says, normally it will include pieces of the peel, although I have seen one make sold which doesn't.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
but I can't speak for the eccentricities of other nations.
"Eccentricities?" My my. I was speaking of the dictionary definition of "marmalade," including your own OED. Here's the first citation there:
quote:
Originally: a preserve consisting of a sweet, solid, quince jelly resembling chare de quince (see CHARE n.4) but with the spices replaced by flavourings of rosewater and musk or ambergris, and cut into squares for eating; (in the 17th cent., occas.) a thick, apple-based jelly containing shredded citrus peel (obs.). Subsequently: a conserve made by boiling fruits (now usually oranges and other citrus fruits) in water to release the pectin around the seeds, then reboiling the liquid and fruit with sugar to form a consistent mass, typically containing embedded shreds of rind. Also: a preparation of similar consistency made with other ingredients, such as a sweet preserve of diced ginger in a jelly set with apple pectin, or a relish made by cooking vegetables with sugar and vinegar.
I had reviewed many sites before posting this, and most of them said that "usually" marmalade in the UK is orange. In fact, Jerry's third site says precisely that. Other sites said that it was citrus, which of course isn't only orange.

Before I posted this I had thought marmalade was only orange, too. Yet, when I thought about it, I realized we say "orange marmalade."

My question, though, was not what England or the other eccentric countries now consider marmalade, but how the word evolved from "quince" and "apples" (clearly the case, according to the OED) to citrus and orange. Perhaps we'll never know.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post