Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    St. Stephen's Tower
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

St. Stephen's Tower Login/Join

Picture of Richard English
posted
Following my recent post and admission that I was uncertain of the spelling of this well-known London landmark, I can now advise that field research has established the truth.

Last Thursday night I went to a dinner at the House of Commons and entered through St. Stephen's gateway and yes, I can confirm, it is accurately spelt with an apostrophe.

Today I went to a meeting at the Mark Mason's Hall (opposite Berry Bros. and Rudd) and checked the spelling of the name of the street in which it is situated and yes, it too is spelt correctly as St. James's Street.

Whilst walking back past Buckingham Palace, through the usual knots of camera-clicking tourists, I heard one young lad remark to his companion, "..I wonder if we'll see the Queen...? His companion (I suspect his older brother) remarked, "...maybe she's in the shower - look, it's one of those top windows...!

I didn't have the heart to tell them, as they gazed in prurient anticipation, that the absence of the Royal Standard clearly showed that the Queen was not in the Palace!

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Perhaps it's a boy-girl difference, but the last thing I'd imagine would be that the Queen might be in the shower!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Perhaps it's a boy-girl difference, but the last thing I'd imagine would be that the Queen might be in the shower!

You're right. It's a boy girl difference. The last thing I'd want to imagine is the Queen in the shower.

:shudders in horror:

Vescere bracis meis.

Read all about my travels around the world here.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post