Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    New Political Words
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Political Words Login/Join

Picture of shufitz
posted
Here the some of the new political terms listed in the April 8 Los Angeles Time:
  • Jeremiad: a very angry sermon. (from the Rev. Jeremiah Wright, pastor to Illinois Sen. Barack Obama and his family)
  • Spitzered: to be exposed as a hypocritical philanderer.
  • Billary: the one-two Clinton punch. Used to describe the presence of both Hillary Clinton and her hubby, ex-President Bill Clinton, on the campaign trail.
  • McBush: the Democratic Party's hopeful way of labeling Republican nominee John McCain's election to what Democrats try to portray as a third Bush term.
  • Obamatopoeia: words, such as Omentum, to describe Obama's campaign success among crowds. Obamania describes the craze. In their Encyclopedia Baracktannica, Slate Obamafied several terms including Barackstar and Baracktoberfest.
  • YouTubed: to have a video, almost always embarrassing, plopped onto that website for the entire world to watch and giggle at.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Being a "backwater" state, we didn't get Billaried, we got Chelsea. That used to be the brand name for Costco's private label toilet paper. Wink

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jeremiad

How is that new? I don't pretend to understand American politics, but I'd assume that the coincidence of this Jeremiah Wright's first name being the same as that of the prophet would have invited the use of this term.

The word has been used to describe sermons denouncing the wickedness of society for centuries. I've no idea what Rev Wright said, and care less, but it seems likely that was the sort of sermon he preaches/ed.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
jeremiad isn't new; the blogger is just a dimwit.