Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Only in England...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Only in England... Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
A friend from England, who used to post here, was telling me why Brexit was a good thing. In doing so, he mentioned the 350 pounds a week that are sent to the EU. I had read a lot of articles disputing this number, so I sent him this one. I thought it perfect as it all came down to the OED meaning of a word "send." Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
A friend from England, who used to post here, was telling me why Brexit was a good thing. In doing so, he mentioned the 350 pounds a week that are sent to the EU. I had read a lot of articles disputing this number, so I sent him this one. I thought it perfect as it all came down to the OED meaning of a word "send." Wink

er... that is 350 MILLION and even the most vocal proponents of Brexit were falling over themselves to backtrack the very morning after the vote, saying of course they didn't mean it and the fact that they painted it on a bus shouldn't be taken as any indication that they did. Roll Eyes

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
England now rejects Bexit; we do the same for Th Groper-in-chief.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
England now rejects Bexit; we do the same for Th Groper-in-chief.

The comparison is closer than you think because no matter how much evidence there is that Brexit is a bad idea the supporters take it all as evidence that there is a liberal media conspiracy to cover up their truth that it is wonderful thing that spells a bright future. Rather as the DT supporters consider that all the evidence against him only proves the lengths the lying media will go to to attack him.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Right, and both countries are in trouble with Germany.

I just thought the focus on the word "send" was funny - and not something that we'd focus on here in the U.S.
quote:
The real problem is the word “send”, which Vote Leave seems to have difficulty understanding. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, the verb means to “cause to go or be taken to a particular destination; arrange for the delivery of”.

Assuming we accept that definition, then it is simply and very demonstrably not true to say that Britain “sends” £350m a week to the EU. That amount of money does not leave (and has never left) Britain each week, nor does it arrive in Brussels.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post