Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Words with all five vowels
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Words with all five vowels Login/Join

posted
I have a minor fascination with words that contain all five vowels, once and only once. For some reason they seem to jump out at me wherever I see them. At first you might think they'd be pretty rare, but I've collected hundreds of the things, and many are words in everyday usage, such as "discourage" or "authorize". There are some notable ones; "facetious" and "abstemious" are well-known for having all the vowels in the right order; "education", "auctioned" and "cautioned" are all anagrams of each other. "Behaviour", "favourite" and "dialogue" are interesting because none of them work in American spelling!

I used to think the shortest was "sequoia" (the giant Californian redwood tree), but recently I came across a word "eunoia" meaning "beautiful thinking" - also the title of this rather curious book, although that's a topic in itself! The longest I could come up with was "psychosexuality", although that's arguably a bit of a cheat with its two y's.

Some of the words are delightfully obscure. For instance, in the British Parliament there is something called the "Outlawries Bill" which is read at the beginning of each new session after the Queen's Speech, in order to assert the right of Parliament to debate a topic of its own choosing. It never proceeds, and it's entirely symbolic. "Outlawries" refers to the practice of making someone an outlaw, as you might guess.

I tried to come up with a name that was an example of the type - my best shot was "vowelarium" (after "planetarium"), but I'm sure people here can do better. Any thoughts?

Anyway, if you have any favourite examples of this type, please share them here!

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Have you ever run across this site.

http://jeff560.tripod.com/words.html

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
http://xkcd.com/853/

Not Safe For Work, and of course it only works on literate people.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
dialogue
That's how Americans spell it.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oh, my apologies. Where have I seen "dialog"?

Posts: 292 | Location: Bath, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Where have I seen "dialog"?

I'm pretty sure that dialog is simply a variant of dialogue.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post