Wordcraft Community Home Page
Library E-Books

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/6890034526

June 06, 2011, 07:36
wordmatic
Library E-Books
In case anyone else is interested in this service, last week, I accidentally stumbled upon the fact that my local library is now lending free copies of e-books--electronically, of course. The last time I had checked, which was a year ago, they did not have ebooks available for download.

Under this new system, I downloaded a free app called Overdrive Media Console onto my iPad and was then able to borrow a book electronically from my local library (where I am a cardholder. You have to have a valid, current library card.) I was allowed to keep the book for two weeks. I borrowed Bill Bryson's "A Walk in the Woods" and returned it at 2:30 a.m. a few days later. I thought this new service of my local library was just peachy. The only trouble is that in exchange for each temporary book download's being free, there is only one copy of each e-book available, and patrons must wait in line to borrow that copy. Still, it's a great service, and there is plenty of other material to read while I wait. Unlimited free downloads of books out of copyright are also available via this app. Books are available in both ebook and audiobook formats.

Wordmatic
June 06, 2011, 08:49
<Proofreader>
I'd rather turn a paper page, said this Luddite.
June 06, 2011, 14:01
wordmatic
(I'm having a deja vu!) Yeah, but it's sooooo cool for those of us who would rather not!

WM