Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Why can't the English ..........
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why can't the English .......... Login/Join

Picture of jerry thomas
posted

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Jerry, I don't know what kind of replies to this thread you were anticipating, if any. However, I can at least answer the question about Americans teaching their children to write--and the answer is....we don't!

I was so annoyed today reading a column that quoted letters from Chicago high school students; this is a typical example: "I have many black friends, but it is people like you that tick me off. Because about 2 weeks ago, I was at a Lane Tech basketball game, and this one black girl said to me, 'Hey white boy, can you watch out? I'm trying to get through.' If it was me or another white person saying, 'Hey black girl, can you watch out?' We would be definitely suspended and maybe even arrested on a count of a hate crime or something like that."

Obviously the column was about race relations at a school. However, I am tempted to e-mail the columnist (her e-mail address is attached) and tell her that the school has another problem, as well--teaching students to write!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Kalleh

quote:
Jerry, I don't know what kind of replies to this thread you were anticipating, if any.

I had nothing specific in mind with this thread. It seems to fit comfortably and appropriately in the Wordcrafter Community.

The whole idea of "My Fair Lady" -- that "an Englishman's way of speaking absolutely classifies him" is fascinating.

Moreover, anyone's way of speaking (or writing!) absolutely classifies him regardless of the language used.

Some folks have commented that it could be dangerous to let an old deaf guy play it by ear, but let's give it a try --- run it up the flagpole and see who salutes.

~~~ jerry

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
"Why can’t the English teach their Children how to Speak?" includes the line "In America, they haven’t used it for years!"

Which I'll choose to take as a compliment to our innovation. Wink

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
To understand what "it" might be requires the quoting of the line before as well:

There even are places where English completely disappears.
In America, they haven’t used it for years!

Presumably that's a side-swipe at the variant of English spoken over there...

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I like Oscar Wilde's quote in the Canterville Ghost in which he said of Mrs Otis, an American who was about to move into Canterville Hall, "...Indeed, in many respects, she was quite English, and was an excellent example of the fact that we have really everything in common with America nowadays, except, of course, language..."

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
The song includes the couplet,
Arabians learn Arabian with the speed of summer lightning.
And Hebrews learn it backwards, which is absolutely frightening.

Presumably Professor Higgens was referring to the fact that Hebrew is written from right to left, rather that the left-to-right of English. Swift, in Gulliver's Travels, that the Lilliputans duplicated English practices -- but not as one might expect. Smile
quote:
But their manner of Writing is very peculiar, being neither from the Left to the Right, like the Europeans; nor from the Right to the Left, like the Arabians; nor from up to down, like the Chinese; nor from down to up, like the Cascagians; but aslant from one Corner of the Paper to the other, like Ladies in England.

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's still another style of writing, with an interesting twist behind the name.

boustrophedon: lines alternating, first left-to-right; the right-to-left; then left-to-right again, etc.

Used in early Greek and Hittite writing, says Webster. The word literally means "as the ox ploughs," going back and forth across a field. (Oxen are genus Bos.)

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
quote:
(Oxen are genus Bos.)

Bosporus = Oxford ????

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bosporus = Oxford ????
Basically, that's it. A bosporus is a strait narrow enough for an ox to be able to swim it. See Webster's 1828 Dictionary.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fascinating.

Though I will say that my own boss is more of an ass than an ox.

Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
It also contains the line, "By law, she should be taken out and hung" which rhymes with "tongue" of course but should have been "hanged." That is the way it is in the U.K., isn't it, or is that just an Americanism. It's one which has for centuries lead to puns involving condemned prisoners who were well hung in one way or another.

Back before clothes driers were everywhere, however, wet clothes were hung (not hanged, which just sounds weird) on a clothesline.

And, as one last variation on this theme, here's a personal ad I might just some day put into the paper just to see what response I might get:

SWM, not well educated but well hanged, seeks rich bimbo for... etc etc.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hung/hanged. Same here.

Same jokes as well, I expect. (Although you do know we don't execute people any more?)

Posts: 245 | Location: Surrey, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post