Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Let's all teach American kids to say, "croissant!"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Let's all teach American kids to say, "croissant!" Login/Join

posted

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yep, I've had trouble with some of these, particularly the French words. I remember once being corrected, by a clerk, for my pronunciation of "beignet."

So I have a French question. How do you pronounce "concierge?" Is it a soft "g" or is it con-see-AIR, which I sometimes hear by the "more informed." I always thought it was "con-see-AIRG (soft). Shu says I am right.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
You're right.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
concierge

From an online French dictionary: /kõsjɛʁʒ/.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good to know - and it's funny that those who "know their French" say it the other way.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
It is a common-enough occurrence that some folks correct their pronunciation of some foreign words so that they are incorrect in that language: e.g., Mandarin Chinese Beijing, the "j" is /tɕ/ but many insist on pronouncing it /ʒ/; French coup de grâce, the final word is pronounced /gʁɑ:s/, but many leave off the final /s/ making it sound like they are saying a "blow of fat".

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
And the worst of it is, those people who hyper-pronounce, or whatever you call it, will look down their noses at you when you pronounce it correctly!