Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    A little logic please
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little logic please Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
From a review of the most recent episode of Doctor Who.

"The episode didn't appear that deep on the surface."

What does, I am moved to ask, what does?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not the writer.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Haven't you ever watched a movie before that didn't appear, on the surface, to be that deep? But then, maybe after seeing it again, or in just thinking about it, you realized there was a whole lot more to it?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And you are supposed to be the literalist. The surface is the opposite of the deep. On the surface NOTHING appears deep because it's the surface. It's just a slightly oxymoronic turn of phrase that amused me.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I see your point completely, so I am being a little contrarian, I suppose.

However, it did make some sense to me (could have been clearer). I took surface to mean when you first saw it, it seemed superficial (surface). However, later it seemed much more meaningful (deep).

Okay - just call me Contrarian Kalleh!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
On the surface NOTHING appears deep because it's the surface.

What about trompe l'œil? Deep is just a metaphor. Actually all works of art are rather shallow.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
On the surface NOTHING appears deep because it's the surface.

What about trompe l'œil? Deep is just a metaphor. Actually all works of art are rather shallow.

And, of course, the same would apply to all the 3D images we see and all the clever anamorphic art we see. I especially like this one.

So you are right. Those tings do indeed appear deep on the surface.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
A picture or photograph of a deep pool (say) appears deep because of colours and shading in a similar way to a trompe l'œil work. However, it's actually on a flat surface such as a screen or paper.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Donald's politics are a Trump d'oeil.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Are we talking about The Zygon Inversion? I gotta watch it again, I think there was a lot I missed.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I believe that was the episode in question. Certainly no one could describe "Sleep No More" as deep. It barely even managed shallow. (But, "Face the Raven" was pretty good this week.)

posted Hide Post
I loved Sleep No More. It was weird and scary.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It's rated by the fans as the low point of the season. And I'd have to say that on the whole I agree with them. The found footage conceit may be new to DW but it's not exactly new to the audience and has been done much better elsewhere. The monsters were just silly - do you know how long you would need to sleep for to get enough "sleep" in your eye to make one? (My back-of-an envelope calculation suggests about 12 million nights might do the trick to create one monster - that's about thirty three thousand years of carefully collecting the gunge from your eye every morning)
The story was a dull runaround, the resolution wasn't a resolution at all. Over all a pretty poor effort. On the other hand Gattiss' effort last year was the truly dire Robot of Sherwood so he's moving in the right direction.

The two Zygon episodes and Face the Raven were excellent though. Looking forward to the finale.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Which is of course not to say that others may not have a different POV. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
It's rated by the fans as the low point of the season.

The worst thing about Doctor Who is the fans.

- a Doctor Who fan

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You're not wrong goofy. I left a Doctor Who group on FB because I was disgusted with the behaviour of some of the "fans" there. Specifically a new teenage girl - just a kid, probably about thirteen or so - joined the group and innocently mentioned that she like Russel T Davies and asked which of his era's episodes people liked best. This was very nearly her first post to the group and it pulled down such a shitstorm of abuse that you'd think she'd admitted to being a great admirer of Adolf Hitler but thought he'd have been better if he also liked drowning puppies in his spare time. One poster went as far as saying that if she thought Russel T Davies was any good she should kill herself out of shame for her bad taste. It was vile to see and made me realise that though I'd joined the group only because a mate of mine had added me I didn't want to associate with that kind of people. I tend to stay away from fan groups of anything these days. They are almost exclusively filled with people who believe that they are right and anyone who disagrees deserves the vilest abuse they can manage to think of.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I still think that "Sleep No More" was a dull, plodding piece of quite unoriginal work though. Just my opinion.

Smile

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
You're not wrong goofy. I left a Doctor Who group on FB because I was disgusted with the behaviour of some of the "fans" there.

I usually stay out of discussions because they are nothing but complaints at best and at worst I think we are watching different shows. I haven't experienced the sort of abuse you talk about.