Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Brexit and the United Kingdom
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brexit and the United Kingdom Login/Join

posted
Not a word post, but I'm curious: If Great Britian leaves the EU and Scotland leaves England to remain in the EU, what does that do the term, "United Kingdom?" I guess you've still got a bit of Ireland, but will that be enough to keep the UK from sinking?

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Haven't you forgotten Wales?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I suppose if Scotland decides to retain the monarch as head of state (and the monarch wanted to remain) then it would still be part of a United Kingdom. A name still would have to be found for England, Wales and Northern Ireland, though.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BobHale:
Haven't you forgotten Wales?
That did occur to me after my initial post. My knowledge of the history of the British Isles is woefully poor, but it is my understanding that Wales is the refuge of the true British, as opposed to the Roman, Germanic, Nordic, and French invaders. The Scots and Irish were a people apart early on, weren't they? And what of the Manx, given their multi-ethnic history?

Whatever, it does seem you've gotten yourselves into a potential Gordian knot. It almost takes away the sting of my country's calamity.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It almost takes away the sting of my country's calamity.
Nothing would do that. Wink

Funny you should ask this question, Geoff. I asked it of our ex-Wordcrafter, Richard. I got my head bitten off! Apparently, according to him, it would be nearly impossible for Scotland to pull out (because of all the permissions they'd need). And even then, the EU wouldn't let them in, again according to Richard.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As is often the case, he is right up to a point. It would be very difficult for Scotland to leave the Union if the British Government said no. However it wouldn't be impossible and if there were overwhelming Scottish support for it it would be equally difficult for the British Government to say no. If they did then the Scottish MPs would be able to cause all sorts of difficulties for any bill that the Government tries to pass.
As for Europe not accepting them as an independent state there is absolutely no way anyone could possibly know that and it seems far more likely that they would be welcomed with open arms if only to send a message to the post-Brexit England (or whatever the remnants of the Union would call themselves.)

However no solid Brexiter is ever going to agree with this. In fact nothing short of the complete economic collapse of the UK would ever convince a man of them that Brexit is a bad idea. Possibly not even that.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I was surprised he still remains a Brexiter. Many have switched, I've heard.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I was surprised he still remains a Brexiter. Many have switched, I've heard.

It really depends who you ask. Ask any dedicated Brexiter and they will tell you that people have deserted the remain camp in their gazillions and the whole country is behind leaving but ask any dedicated Remainer and they will tell you that every man-jack of the Brexiters has seen the error of their ways and now wants to remain. The truth is probably that few people have changed their minds either way.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The article I read called them "little Englanders," Bob. Is this a common term in England? What exactly does it mean?