Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anodyne Login/Join

Picture of bethree5
posted
What a great word. It sounds like a chemical, & the literal meaning is "pain-relieving", but I encountered it twice in the Saturday NYT, both times with a context indicating a quality so bland as to be neither stimulating nor offendive. Sort of like elevator music.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Now that I think of it, I haven't seen it used in my nursing practice, though maybe I've just not seen it.

I am not sure I did this right, but using arnie's Ngram Viewer with the words "pain relieving," "analgesic" and "anodyne," clearly "analgesic" is more common. However, interestingly, "pain relieving" was cited zero times between 2000 and 2008.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
both times with a context indicating a quality so bland as to be neither stimulating nor offendive. Sort of like elevator music.

That is one of the meanings, according to Wiktionary, and, although I have no data, I'd suggest it is the most common nowadays.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
What a great word. It sounds like a chemical
Were it a chemical the opposite would be cathodyne. Wrong etymology, though.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post