Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Heard any old-fashioned words lately?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heard any old-fashioned words lately? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I came across a word today that I haven't heard in a long, long time: bender. The author was talking about a drinking spree a character was on.

Heard any other words dated words lately?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Bender doesn't strike me as particularly old-fashioned, although binge seems to be more frequently used at present to describe a drunken bout. Perhaps people don't go on Ray Milland-type benders any more. There are other ways to act irresponsibly: taking drugs, watching TV, etc.

The Word Detective has an article.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While I've not heard it recently, I've heard it often in the past.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The OED Online defines bender as " He who or that which bends." It has two meanings related to drinking:
quote:
5. a. Sc. A hard drinker. Obs. (Cf. BEND v. 23.)

1728 RAMSAY Poems (1848) III. 162 Now lend your lugs, ye benders fine, Wha ken the benefit of wine.
1810 TANNAHILL Poems (1846) 53 Or benders, blest your wizzens weetin'.

b. A bout of drinking; a riotous party. slang (orig. U.S.).

1846 D. CORCORAN Pickings from Portfolio 62, I was on an almighty big bender last night..and the way we did walk into the highly concentrated hard cider.
1887 J. HATTON Old Ho. Sandwich
I. II. iv. 82 The boss of Drummond's Gulch may be said to have begun his ‘bender’, as a bout of drunken dissipation was called in these regions.
1929 K. S. PRICHARD Coonardoo 7 And I've warned Paddy Hanson to look after Hughie if Sam does get on a bender.
1933 Bulletin (Sydney) 14 June 11/4 Being on a strenuous bender, he had forgotten to sign a cheque.
1951 WODEHOUSE Old Reliable iv. 64 Where's the harm in an occasional bender? Boys will be boys.

It gives other meanings of bender, including this one:

quote:
slang (orig. U.S., now chiefly Brit.). Originally: a homosexual man who assumes the receptive role in anal intercourse. In later use also (more generally): a (male) homosexual. Cf. BENT adj. 5c.
  Originally used as a non-derogatory term among male homosexuals, but now chiefly derogatory and in more general use.

1965 Guild Dict. Homosexual Terms 3 Bender, a homosexual who submits to passive anal intercourse.
1971 D. RADER Gov't Inspected Meat xi. 121 Get ass-fucked like a bender by a butching lover.
1977 Spare Rib July 31/1 A dialogue about gayness began when the team challenged the coach, demanding to know if she was a ‘bender’!
1986 J. JOSEPH Persephone xxxvi. 177 He was a known bender.
1996 Daily Mirror (Nexis) 7 Sept. 16 Most of the people there were gay and I heard Liam say to Noel:..‘They're all benders. I'm off!’
2002 Observer 10 Nov. I. 31/4, I remembered hearing Fleet Street homophobes rave about the distinction between ‘stabbers’ and ‘benders’ for hours.

A Dictionary of Slang has two definitions:
quote:
1. An excessive bout of drinking, but more recently also inclusive of a drug taking spree. [Orig. U.S.]
2. A homosexual. Possibly derived from gender bender, or from being the passive partner, bending over to receive sex, as opposed to being the thruster. Derog.

Dictionary.com includes these definitions:
quote:
1.n. a drinking binge. (See also twister.): Her benders usually last about ten days.
2.n. a heavy drinker; a drunkard.: This bender comes up to me and nearly kills me with his breath, asking for a match.
3.n. a girl who copulates without much fuss. (Her legs bend easily. The same as benda).: Maydene is a bender and everybody knows it!
4.n.a release of intestinal gas when someone bends over.: I stooped over and let a bender that rocked the room.

Some of those definitions are new to me.

Not surprisingly, the OED Online says bender derives from bend + -er, and gives this definition (one of many): 
quote:
V. Senses of doubtful origin.

23. ‘To drink hard; a cant term’ (Jamieson). [Perh. ‘to pull, strain’ in reference to pulling or straining a bow (cf. 3); or ‘to ply, apply oneself to’ (cf. 18).] trans. and intr.

1758 RAMSAY[ Poems (1800) I. 215 (Jam.) Braw tippony..Which we with greed Bended, as fast as she could brew.
Ibid. ii. 73 (Jam.) To bend wi' ye, and spend wi' ye, An evening, and gaffaw.
[1860 RAMSAY Remin. Ser. I. (ed. 7) 47 Bend weel to the Madeira at dinner, for here ye'll get little o't after. Cf. 18b.]

To pull can also mean "to drink."

Somewhere in the cobwebs of my mind I remember "bending an elbow" referred to drinking. I had always thought that bender came from that phrase.

Bend (the noun) is also a nautical term. It's a type of knot, and bend (the verb) means "To tie, fasten on, make fast." I wonder if "to tie one on," meaning to get drunk, is somehow related.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bend (the noun) is also a nautical term. It's a type of knot, and bend (the verb) means "To tie, fasten on, make fast." I wonder if "to tie one on," meaning to get drunk, is somehow related.

A sheetbend is a nautical knot, and a sheet is a sail, so "bender" and "three sheets to the wind" may be related nautical metaphors for being drunk.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
What about majordomo? I just came across that word...is it old-fashioned? Rare? Or is it just new for me?

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
What about majordomo?

It's a word from the Middle Ages and sounds old-fashioned, though familiar, to me. It's (ultimately) from Latin: major 'chief' (lit., 'better') and domus 'of the house'. The word gives the German last name Meier which is similar in meaning to English steward (stigweard 'keeper of the hall', stig was a wooden enclosure of sorts, and survives on in the meaning of sty as a place to keep pigs). English mayor,as a title, is also from the first Latin word in the phrase. Yet a third and similar in meaning and duties word is seneschal. It is ultimately of Frankish origin *siniskalk 'senior servant'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've always liked amanuensis.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
And factotum.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Geoff:
A sheetbend is a nautical knot, and a sheet is a sail, so "bender" and "three sheets to the wind" may be related nautical metaphors for being drunk.

Here's what the Word Detective says about "three sheets to the wind."
quote:
The phrase "three sheets to the wind" does indeed come from the world of seafaring, specifically sailing ships. The "sheets" in the phrase are not sails, but ropes. Of course, the first thing one learns about ropes once aboard ship is that they are never called "ropes." They are named according to their particular function: halyards (which move or hold things, usually sails, vertically), sheets (which move or hold things horizontally), and lines (which hold things in a static position). The sheets in this case are those ropes which hold the sails in place. If one sheet is loose, the sail will flap in the wind and the ship's progress will be unsteady. Two sheets loose ("in the wind"), and you have a major problem, and with "three sheets in the wind," the ship reels like a drunken sailor.

The specific number of "three sheets" in the phrase wasn't random, by the way -- there was, at one time, a sort of rating system of inebriation among sailors, where "one sheet" meant "tipsy" and so on, up to "four sheets in the wind," meaning to be completely unconscious.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've always liked amanuensis.
It's a cool word. I wonder what my HR director would say if I told him I'd like to hire an amaneunsis (if I could pronounce it right!).

I remember a long, long time ago talking about three sheets to the wind.

[I note in these older posts that I loved using the icons. Now I find that over-use a little irritating.]

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
I remember a long, long time ago talking about three sheets to the wind.

Wow, you posted that Word Detective link nearly 8 years before I did. I should have looked it up. I vaguely remember the discussion.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I thought it was funny how I had questioned arnie. I guess I hadn't known him well enough yet. Wink