Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gravity Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Nathan Bierma had an interesting column today (I couldn't find it yet on Google), talking about the word "gravitas." As we all know (at least in America), poor Katie Couric has been critiqued 9 ways from Sunday ever since she was promoted to CBS's Evening News. A common criticism has been her lack of "gravitas." Bierma discusses the origin of the word "gravitas," from the Latin word meaning "weight;" dictionaries define it as "serious or solemn demeanor" or "importance" or even "virtue."

However, it seems to be evolving to mean "phony seriousness," though no dictionary has added that meaning as of yet.

Have you seen the meaning of "gravitas" change?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here's the link.

posted Hide Post
I haven't heard the usage meaning "phony", unless you are referring to Stephen Colbert. To me, gravitas means a great deal of seriousness.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I agree with Seanahan; if someone appears phony, then by definition, they lack gravitas.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
+1

I, too, have not heard the usage meaning phony seriousness. Just plain, old seriousness. Latin gravitas. whence English gravity, is an abstract noun from the adjective gravis 'heavy', cognate with the Sanskrit guru 'heavy, venerable' (i.e., "the guru had graviats"), Greek barus 'heavy' (English barytone), Latin brutus 'heavy; stupid; brutish', German Krieg 'war', English quern 'millstone' :- *gwerə- 'heavy'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think the meaning has crept into some of the media references. It may not stick. Let's hope not.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Here's the link.

I'm not completely convinced that the meaning of gravitas has changed in the examples Bierma cites.

But the word's meaning might change. That's what words do.

posted Hide Post
As goofy says, so they do change. There's a move afoot for any word to take on a new or expanded meaning when the hoi polloi drop it anywhere it remotely seems to fit, until eventually Webster picks it up in the latest edition. I call this phenom "smearing", though there's a better word I can never think of

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dalehileman:
I call this phenom "smearing", though there's a better word I can never think of

In this particular case I think it would be perjoration.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gooofy:
I'm not completely convinced that the meaning of gravitas has changed in the examples Bierma cites..

I agree with goofy. It seems to me that the examples in the article make perfect sense with the conventional meaning of gravitas. There may well be examples of this possible new meaning but if so I don't think the ones in the article illustrate it.

quote:
As goofy says, so they do change. There's a move afoot for any word to take on a new or expanded meaning when the hoi polloi drop it anywhere it remotely seems to fit, until eventually Webster picks it up in the latest edition.

I also agree with dale. I think there is a tendency for people who have heard a word without really understanding its meaning to use it in situations where what they think it might mean would fit. It rarely seems to occur to anyone to consult a dictionary. This is often true of newspapers.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think there is a tendency for people who have heard a word without really understanding its meaning to use it in situations where what they think it might mean would fit
Yes indeed. A good example of this is moot, as in moot point.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Aw...poor arnie and his "moot point."

Perhaps this is just an isolated instance that won't continue. With the media reports of Katie Couric (and I realize those of you in England don't know this) the word "gravitas" has been used a lot, and in some situations it has been said sarcastically, or with a phoniness.

But not all changes stick, and this may not.

posted Hide Post
goofy: THank you for that link. The term I'm looking for, however, is more general

Bob: Indeed, even AP seems to do it

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
nd in some situations it has been said sarcastically, or with a phoniness

But, one can say any word sarcastically and imply phoniess. It doesn't mean that the word is changing in meaning.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Alright. I see your point. I agree that Bierma is wrong on this.