Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Clever me.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Clever me. Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
In my Cert Ed course classes today not only was I the only person who had ever hear of Sapir-Whorf (and knew what a load of old tosh it is*) but I was also the only person on a considerably more lowbrow note who knew what "ghoti" is.

Sometimes I feel a bit embarrassed at being the only person raising a hand. Makes me feel like Lisa Simpson.

(*Sapir-Whorf hypothesis was only mentioned in passing as pretty much a load of bunkum. I wouldn't want anyone getting the idea that we're being taught by someone who thinks the Eskimos have fifty words for snow.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Good for you!

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was also the only person on a considerably more lowbrow note who knew what "ghoti" is.
Truly, a Mr Chips in embryo! Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shufitz
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was also the only person on a considerably more lowbrow note who knew what "ghoti" is.
But how many persons on a less lowbrow note knew? Wink

Posts: 2666 | Location: Chicago, IL USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Remember "ghoti bowl," one of our early posters?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I expect shu does.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shufitz:
quote:
But how many persons on a less lowbrow note knew? Wink

OK, I'll concede that sometimes I ought to use commas. Smile

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:

I was taught that the word spelt "fish", its being a demonstration of the eccentricities of English spelling.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never though ghoti was particularly clever. None of those rules apply out of context, and one only occurs rarely.

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
quote:
I never though ghoti was particularly clever.

Ah, yes, George Bernard Shaw summed up quite nicely: not particularly clever.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Indeed, however the lecturer's point, perhaps with a rather irrelevent example, was that not just spelling, but all language (written and spoken) , is essentially arbitrary - a set of agreed symbols and rules which could be anything as long as the people communicating do agree on them.

Whereas my point was that "ghoti" is a very trivial and extremely well known trifle mainly amusing to children which I had assumed was extremely well known but discovered to my surprise that a whole classroom full of Englisg teachers had never encountered it.

<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
quote:

Whereas my point was that "ghoti" is a very trivial and extremely well known trifle mainly amusing to children which I had assumed was extremely well known but discovered to my surprise that a whole classroom full of English teachers had never encountered it.

That IS surprising! Im just a stupid lawn mower mechanic, and I've known about it for at least forty years.

I've lately been looking into the Russian alphabet (well, OK, they say "alphaveet") and find that it's wonderfully phonetic. What say we scrap all those nonsensical English pronunciations and just use the Cyrillic alphabet!

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whereas my point was that "ghoti" is a very trivial and extremely well known trifle mainly amusing to children which I had assumed was extremely well known but discovered to my surprise that a whole classroom full of Englisg teachers had never encountered it.

I hadn't heard of it before Wordcraft.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I hadn't heard about ghoti until Wordcraft, either.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
alphaveet

Asa, congrats on learning a new alphabet. There are some problems / exceptions with Russian orthography, его 'his' is written with a г (g) but is pronounced /jevo/. There's a subtle confusion between /a/ and /o/ (cf. the initial sounds in the words for 'he', 'she', and 'they'), and что 'what' is pronounced as though written што. But it's nothing compared to say, English or Tibetan.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.