Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Humo(u)r? Login/Join

posted
I have been informed that the differences between American and British senses of humour can be illustrated by first visiting and reading

www.tourettes.com

and then visiting

www.tourettes.co.uk

Posts: 73 | Location: Morpeth, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
An interesting disparallelism there, Stan. You say:
"first visiting and reading www.tourettes.com, and
then visiting www.tourettes.co.uk"

Do I note the implication that that the UK verison of "humour" does not require the ability to read?

[tongue in cheek here wink I wouldn't want you to be "ticked" off.]

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Actually, by that version I believe I have more of an English sense of humor!

A speaker today at 8:00 am told just a hilarious joke that had everyone roaring and awake for the day. It is fairly long, and I cannot repeat it as well as she did, but it is something like: A wife was given 3 wishes, but everything she got, her husband got much more of the same. First she asked for good looks, and she became pretty, but her husband was absolutely gorgeous. Then she asked for money, and she became rich, but her husband became filthy rich. Lastly, she asked for a teeny, tiny heart attack......

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Hic et ubique:
An interesting disparallelism there, Stan. You say:
"first visiting _and reading_ http://www.tourettes.com, and
then visiting http://www.tourettes.co.uk"

Do I note the implication that that the UK verison of "humour" does not require the ability to read?

smile The wording was deliberate Hic. I'm sure you'll agree that whereas the .com site requires a conscious effort for it to be read, the .co.uk site is read in its entirety by all visitors without them having to be instructed to do so.

Posts: 73 | Location: Morpeth, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hic et ubique
posted Hide Post
Kalleh, I've heard (and told) a varient of that joke:

A man was given 3 wishes, but everything he got, his worst enemy got twice as much of the same.

First he wished for fame, and he promptly became a movie star -- but always as supporting actor, with his worst enemy getting the romantic lead parts.

Then he asked for money, and he became rich -- but his worst enemy beecame filthy rich and could buy and sell him twice over.

Finally, giving the matter careful and thoughtful consideration, he wished for [click here].

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Arrgh! I am always behind the 8-ball with jokes. Also, I get all embroiled in telling the joke and either forget or mess up the punchline. eek

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The versiuon I heard had a man & his mother-in-law, with the mother-in-law getting twice as much, and the man finally wishing to "be beaten half to death".

Posts: 5 | Location: Charlotte, NCReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C J Strolin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
...Lastly, she asked for a teeny, tiny heart attack......

The way I heard it had to do with each of a man's three wishes being exactly doubled for his worst enemy.

His first wish (naturally) was for wealth and he was instantly rich, though his worst enemy became twice as wealthy.

His second wish was for a huge harem of beautiful women and, like the first wish, it was instantly granted but the harem his enemy received was twice as large and twice as beautiful.

For his last wish, he asked for one of his testicles to be painlessly removed.

Posts: 1517 | Location: Illinois, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post