Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bilateral Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I have just heard David Miliband (if anyone didn't know he's our new Foreign Secretary) use the phrase bilateral relationship [with the United States] seven times in a ten minute interview and it struck me that "bilateral" appeared to be adding nothing except a certain vague self-importance to his words.

What exactly, for example, does it add to this sentence.

[Gordon Brown becoming Prime Minister] will not affect our bilateral relationship with the United States.

Also, much of what he said was delivered in the typical New Labour spin terms that serve no purpose other than to make the speaker sound important without having any information content.

He was actually called by one of the other panelists, who had spotted the weakening effect of "try", on his phrase "[when talking about Iraq] I will try to be straightforward with you".

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
quote:
I will try to be straightforward with you".

I love that. What amazing double-speak these politicians have.

bilateral - would that mean "they help us but we don't have much to give back" or would it mean "I'm keeping them on our side, aren't you impressed"

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
No, I think it means "you and me against the world".

posted Hide Post
I think he was using bilateral to try emphasize that it is an equal relationship.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Maybe bilateral means Both Sides Now

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
quote:
What exactly, for example, does it add to this sentence.

Whenever I see the word "basically" I ask that same question.

By the way, does the word "exactly" add or detract from the strength of the sentence quoted here?

Just wondering. ...

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I could say that "exactly" adds my request for a precise definition rather than some vague suggestion of a feeling or mood.

Or it could just be that I write the way I speak.

Remember in my original query here I noted that he used the phrase seven times in ten minutes. (Maybe more, I didn't see the start of the interview.)

I agree with neveu he is trying to suggest that the Blair-Bush relationship was a marriage of equals, something it clearly wasn't. The interesting language point is that by over-emphasising the phrase to this degree he was making exactly the opposite point. If it had been a truly equal relationship there would be no need to keep on mentioning it and by doing so creating the inevitable conclusions that
a) it wasn't and b) he's deliberately lying.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't he be using bilateral in response to much criticism about the US currently making unilateral decisions?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or it could just be that I write the way I speak.

Or maybe it's a rhythmic thing, like wine-dark sea or rosy-fingered dawn.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I suspect that z's interpretation is correct. Bilateral doesn't necessarily mean both sides are "equal;" it just means there are 2 sides.

I am struck by the 7 times in 10 minutes. That's overkill! Yesterday someone was in my office, and she used the word "uber" 4 times (I was counting!) in the 15 minutes or so that she spoke to me. I think when people find a word they like, they just keep using it. I remember a phase my daughter went through where she used the word "clearly" in every other sentence. Roll Eyes

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post