Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Tech Buzzwords
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tech Buzzwords Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
As you know, tech words change frequently. Textio, a startup in Seattle, studied more than 500,000 tech jobs and came up with these as the winners and losers of buzzwords:

Rising:

Artificial intelligence: Elon Musk and Stephen Hawking may think it's scary, but tech job applicants are running toward listings that mention AI. Over the past six months, the term's usage among the best-performing tech job listings has quintupled.

Real-time data: Big data bad. Real- time data good. Supposedly, this term, unlike its predecessor, conveys that the hiring company wants to build products based on the latest information, rather than just a lot of information.

High availability: This places an importance on building software that is always accessible and almost never goes down, which is a technical challenge many engineers appreciate. It's showing up in 42 percent more job listings than a year ago.

Robust and scalable: Usage of the two words together started to blow up over the summer and has tripled over the past two months. The jargon generally refers to software that's powerful, yet able to serve lots of users.

Inclusive: Thanks to the rising importance of diverse workplaces to many applicants, particularly in the tech industry, job postings benefit from a reference to inclusiveness. The words "diverse" and "diversity" have long been a popular choice to fill out corporate boilerplate, but the terms may be losing their meaning. Perhaps that's why "inclusive" has surged in popularity over the past six months.

Falling:

Big data: This is the biggest loser in technology job ads, according to Textio, a big data company that will no longer call itself that. Two years ago, everything was about big data, but Snyder noticed that it had started to drop off five or six months ago. Today, engineering jobs that mention "big data" perform 30 percent worse, on average, than those that do not, she said. "Now it's so saturated that you'd better talk about AI and not big data."

Virtual team or V-team: Corporate jargon turns off many applicants, and this term, which refers to telecommuting, is more than 10 times as likely to appear in jobs with low applicant counts than in successful listings.

Troubleshooting: This is a key skill for many tech workers, but recruiters would be better off calling it "problem solving," "fixing," or "diagnosing," said Snyder. Troubleshooting performs twice as bad as those other terms.

Subject matter expert: You might think being an expert is a good thing, but the term carries a connotation that the ideal candidate knows one thing very well and little about anything else, Snyder said. She said tech applicants want to be "full- stack engineers," a buzzword that performs 32 percent better than "subject matter expert."

Drug-free workplace: A guaranteed way to sink your listing is using this phrase. It makes any tech job advertisement more than 20 times likelier to perform in the lowest quartile. And it's getting worse.

The data on "drug-free workplace" is funny, I think. I imagine it has more to do with the worry that it's a controlling environment, rather than that they want to take drugs at work. We use "subject matter expert" in my organization, but I get the point. We'd say "cross-training," though, not "full-stack engineer." I haven't heard of that! Your thoughts?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post