Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    roten speling
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

roten speling Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Because I don't want to be mean spirited about this I won't mention the who or the where but...

I've just been lurking on a board about literature where someone has posted a book quiz.

In a post that consists of 94 words there are 13 glaring spelling mistakes (including one author's names - both of them - and the title of one of the books), 11 grammatical errors obvious on one reading and numerous errors of style.
None of the replies have commented on it, possibly because it would be thought bad manners but equally possibly because no-one has noticed.

Wouldn't you think a board about literature might show a slightly higher level of accomplishment?

Every silver lining has a cloud.
Read all about my travels around the world here.
Read even more of my travel writing and poems on my weblog.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes I would, Bob. And, this post made me think about my recent tirades about people pointing out others' mistakes. I think I should have considered that this is a language board, and hopefully none of us is so thin-skinned if a significant error is pointed out. That is, little typos or minor spelling errors, well those happen in this busy life. However, CJ's and my apostrophe errors, well, it is fair that those get pointed out.

Sorry if I was being a jerk about it. I just wanted peace on the board, but Bob does make a good point.

[This message was edited by Kalleh on Sat Jan 17th, 2004 at 15:29.]

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I would, too. On a board about any other subject it could be accepted, if not condoned. On a literacy board...

It may be that there is an agreement to refrain from correcting others' posts, possibly because ill-will has been caused in the past. Does the board have a FAQ? It might be mentioned in there.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Good point, Arnie. I posted on a board once where the regulars would literally pounce on the newcomers if they were challenged.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
There was a column recently where the writer admitted to being a "roten speler." Here are two poems submitted by her readers, related to using spell checkers:

Eye halve a spelling chequer
It came with my pea sea
It plainly marques four my revue
Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

A checker is a blessing.
It freeze yew lodes of thyme.
It helps me right awl stiles two reed,
And aides me when aye rime.