Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Wikipedia in the news
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wikipedia in the news Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
I found this article very interesting, and thought you might, too.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
An absolutely fascinating article, CW. Thank you.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
The only article I have ever read which is nearly as long as Wikipedia itself ;-)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The discussion of this article's criticism is interesting, too. I remember in high school, and even college, that the poorer students just copied paragraphs, unread and uncited, from whatever encyclopaedia came to hand. Encyclopaedias ought not to replace primary and secondary historical sources, but then so few are scholars.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
In seventh grade I violated a rule by whispering to a classmate while our Health and Physical Education teacher was lecturing. For punishment he told me to write a 1,000-word essay.

At home I took Emerson's Essays from the book shelf, flipped it open, and accurately copied exactly 1,000 words from "Self Reliance." My copy ended in the middle of a sentence, but ...

Next day I handed it in, and when our teacher returned it to me he commented "You did well. That's pretty good writing." He made no mention of my blatant plagiarism.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
How timely! I just workshopped an inaccurate limerick on OEDILF and found the author got his information from Wikipedia. It was on a nursing subject, and I am 100% certain that I am right. I've never edited an article there, but I went there tonight and did so and then explained why in their discussion section. I had no idea it was that easy.

"Pretty good writing"???? Funny!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
How long before someone quotes this as a source in an academic paper?

WARNING FOR THE HARD OF THINKING !!!!!!!!!!

This link is to a site that is a SPOOF!!!!!

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I love it, Bob! Big Grin

[Why do I think Bob's spoof comment was particularly meant for me? Roll Eyes]

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Maybe a little... Wink

But I still remember the fallout from the great "Mr Ed was a Zebra" incident...

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
the fallout from the great "Mr Ed was a Zebra" incident...

... and "Lassie was a Dachshund" ...

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I remember, Bob. And I specifically am not going to link to that thread. If I recall, I overreacted just a bit. Red Face

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
If I remember it rightly it was CJ who mainly overreacted. He seemed to take great personal offense at snopes for tricking him.

posted Hide Post
As I recall it caught out quite a few. It's in my nature to read things carefully and completely before reacting and so I clicked on the link at the bottom that said something like "more information" and the hoax was revealed.

I can't find the article now and suspect that Snopes has removed it.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Nope, it's still there. Just follow the Lost legends link from the homepage.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Alright...I will link to it then. Yes, CJ was miffed, but he at least got over it. Not only did I believe it, too, but I wasn't as forgiving as CJ was. I really can't believe I believed it, though it was pretty funny reading CJ's "Reasons for my disbelief." Big Grin

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
A different kind of critique of Wikipedia is offered in this article on Wired Online called "What Would Jesus Wiki?"
quote:
[Lawyer and Conservapedia founder Andy] Schlafly argues that Wikipedia's content displays a liberal bias, and that the site is rife with so much gossip, vulgarity and long-winded writing that it has become unusable as an educational resource.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
Fascinating, Z, thanks for that link. I hadn't heard about either of those other Wikis. Funny that the Conservatives would find Wikipedia so very biased and then create a new wiki to be even more blantantly so. Interesting strategy.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The thing with bias is that everyone accuses everyone else of being biased. The way that you know you are unbiased in politics is that left wingers accuse you of right wing bias and right wingers accuse you of left wing bias.

posted Hide Post
So true, Bob. Or as I have put in in the past, if you sit on the fence then you can be shot at by both sides.

Richard English

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I have never thought of Wikipedia as being biased...inaccurate sometimes, but not biased. Of course, I suppose it depends on who does the editing. If indeed Wikipedia were to have a liberal bias (much less an anti-American bias!), I guess it would show that that liberals (and anti-Americans) are smarter than conservatives because there is a whole lot of information in Wikipedia, compared to the conservative ones. Heck, they didn't even have an entry to "Florence Nightingale" in Conservapedia.

posted Hide Post
There was a news article/interview a few months back with the founder of Wikipedia - who has broken ranks with his former comrades.

His key issue in breaking ranks was their refusal to admit that they had a problem.

At the risk of seeming authoritarian (Ok, I am), I distrust any medium in which any anonymous "editor" can change things to suit his or her taste. I haven't looked lately, but about 5 or 6 months ago, I looked up our current president (W) since I was sure he'd get a goodly share of barbs. It was like looking at a spray-paint defaced billboard. I'm pretty sure that he wasn't a member of the "skull and boners" society. I'm not taking his part or any other here, but that's clearly (at best) an inaccuracy for his bio. And I dare say that with their historical model, Wikipedia is prone to editing by anyone who feels slighted by whatever happens to be on any subject.

In fairness, I have seen evidence that they are trying to clean up their (collective) act. Whether you like or dislike Bush, Clinton (either), Obama, Cheney or whoever, an "authoritative source of information" ought to be free of "spray can" editing.

What's really sad is that our daughter (college frosh at the moment) tells me that many of her acquaintances consider Wikipedia as an authoritative source of information - and look no further.

Bob

Posts: 56 | Location: Santa Clara County, CAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wikipedia is an excellent reference source but, like all reference sources, it is subject to errors, omissions and simple untruths.

Good researchers will use several sources (which they will cite) before coming to their conclusions.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
Spot On Richard!

Bob

Posts: 56 | Location: Santa Clara County, CAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wikipedia's article on Conservapedia.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Quite pitiful, if you ask me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Quite pitiful, if you ask me.

Wikipedia's article or Conservapedia itself?

Richard English

posted Hide Post
It looks like Wikipedia is saying, "We're trying to have no bias", and Conservapedia is saying, "You can't help having a small bias, so let's have a big one!"

Posts: 886 | Location: IllinoisReply With QuoteReport This Post