Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Bartleby.com's quote of the day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bartleby.com's quote of the day Login/Join

posted
Bartleby.com's quote of the day today:
    I can never suppose this country so far lost to all ideas of self-importance as to be willing to grant America independence; if that could ever be adopted I shall despair of this country being ever preserved from a state of inferiority and consequently falling into a very low class among the European States.
    - George III
Wink

posted Hide Post
That's the real reason why Americans advertize such watery beer. Think of it as a Marshal Plan for restoring the English ego. Sure we have our own country, but look at what we have to suffer Smile

(Pass me an Anchor Steam Porter, but don't let the Brits see it.)

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Of course, George III was one of the wisest, most statesmanlike kings we've had, so we should accord great respect to his sayings. He was a model of sanity. Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Here's more about George III.

In a Museum in Los Angeles I saw an original note that he wrote to the King of France some time in the late seventies or the early eighties. It said something like (very liberally paraphrasing) "Since the Colonists seem to be serious about American independence, I guess we'll go ahead and let them be independent." Good of him.

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
My brother keeps digging into our genealogy and has found my family to be direct descendents of King Edward I (20th cousins of Queen Elizabeth), as well as King John (worst of the kings, if I recall). The funny part is, because he went back that far and since both my mother and father are descendents of that lovely King John, it means that my mother and father are 24th cousins once removed!

However, I don't see any King Georges in our bloodline. Wink

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post