Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Presentism
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Presentism Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I heard this word used the other day about interpreting historical events with contemporary standards, when talking about Robert E. Lee. I hadn't heard it before, but I love the concept. Have you seen it before?

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I see the author used quotes round the word, and also defined it:
quote:
Moreover we shouldn’t be overly guilty of the sin of “presentism,” judging historical figures by contemporary standards.

It's probably a nonce word. I suspect if I'd wanted to say something similar I'd have used "present-dayism" which IMO describes it better.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Here's AWAD's take on the word.

<Proofreader>
posted
What standard should we then use to examine the actions of historical figures? Should we ignore depredations because they were considered normal at the time, which are considered heinous to us?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
It's a matter of scale, I'd say. The actions of a Hitler, a Genghis Khan or a Pol Pot would be deplored no matter what the era.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, agreed, arnie. Who, though, do you think might be in the gray area?

Just today I was watching a movie that said that FDR would never have been elected today because of his disability. Back then, the presidents weren't on television. I think, unfortunately, they are right. 'Tis a pity.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
Who, though, do you think might be in the gray area?

Almost everyone who lived more than a couple of generations ago. Until the end of the 20th century most people felt it was quite OK use corporal punishment on children. Many (white) people were unthinkingly racist until the 1960s or so. During the 18th and 19th centuries slave owning was unexceptionable ...

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, though sometimes you have to be careful. Buying people is okay?

<Proofreader>
posted
You can't buy people, although occasionally renting a woman for an hour is permissible.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
unexceptionable

Interesting word. I've not seen it used before, at least that way.