Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Hyphen adds five years
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hyphen adds five years Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
I wanted to use "middle-aged" in a sentence, and, curious whether the most frequest use was hyphenated or not, I looked it up on OneLook and saw it gave 17 links to dictionary definitions. It also gives a link, "See middle age for more definitions". That also gives 17 links.

What amused me, though, was that "middle age" is defined as "the time of life between youth and old age (e.g., between 40 and 60 years of age)", whereas "middle-aged (with hyphen) is shown as "being roughly between 45 and 65 years old". Smile

By the way, "middleaged" (one word) only seems to appear in one dictionary.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sort of goes with the general observation, oft broken, that the adjective is hyphenated, while the compound noun is not.

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I used to teach a course on the middle-aged adult (generativity vs. stagnation is the developmental stage). Our age limits were 45-65.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post