Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    geeks (from community)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

geeks (from community) Login/Join

posted
>the difference between nerd, dweeb, geek, dufus, et al

NB: dufus is a variant of doofus; the latter out-googles the former three-to-one.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
The Jargon File (link) has one perspective on two of these terms: (geek, and nerd). Probably because dweeb and doofus don't have positive connotations, they have been excluded the hacker's dictionary. Doofus might have something to do with German doof 'dumb, stupid', and, in fact, there is a great song, Computer sind doof by Spliff (band and lyrics).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
M-W and AHD relate doofus to goof; AHD has this:

Perhaps blend of doof, fool (from Scots) goofus, fool (from goof)

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes. I've made that spelling mistake here before. Sorry.

What is the difference between "nerd" and "geek," do you think? The other words have some differences, but I tend to think those two are almost identical in meaning. I do remember someone at our Gathering, though, thinking there is a difference.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I don't think it' a spelling mistake; just the use of an alternative (less-used) spelling. Often slang words, or words that originated as slang, will have more than one spelling.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kalleh:
What is the difference between "nerd" and "geek," do you think?

I think geek has morphed from someone REALLY weird (live-chicken-head-biting) into someone who is very technologically skilled and absorbed by the use of some aspect of it.
My Non-Trivial Other is an Alpha Geek, for example. Other Geeks bow down before him. <G>

Nerd I think is someone who is challenged in social skills. Maybe thinks he is technologically skilled, but not as good as others in application.

Both suffer from lack of social skills, but it's more forgivable in the Geek, because he has a real talent, and that makes up for his shortcomings.

My Two Cents here.

Linda

Posts: 11 | Location: Leawood KSReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I meant to mention that I know of at least two cognates of English geek: Rhenish German Jeck and Danish gak, both meaning 'fool'.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post