Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    What's with girls' names?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's with girls' names? Login/Join

posted
I supppose I shouldn't talk, given that I'm stuck with an archaic spelling of my name, but I'm really puzzled about what female name fads have done. "Brie" is a cheese, or a region of France; Brittany is a dog, or a French coastal region, and "Amber" is fossilized sap. (Maybe French sap? I dunno...).

What are people thinking naming their daughters "Cheese,""Dog," or "Sap?" Now if someone wants to name a nebbish "Schnauzer," fine, but...

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
One of my friends's daughters wouldn't tell anyone the name they'd chosen for their baby girl, and it's a good thing. They named her "Minnie!"

This all scares me because my daughter is expecting in April. I am wondering what they'll come up with...

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
As no-one who does the weekly quiz at my local bar is ever likely to look at this I feel I can give you this week's bonus round - I am asking the questions tomorrow - to look at. It is relevent to the topic though it covers boys names as well. Here it is...

All you have to do is match the correct parents to the name they chose for one of their children.

Apollo Bowie Flynn..............Frank Zappa and Kathryn Sherman
Apple...........................Nick Cage and Alice Kim
Bear Blu........................Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie
Blue Ivy........................Katie Price and Peter Andre
Egypt...........................Penn Jillette and Emily Jillette
Exton...........................Kim Kardashian and Kanye West
Fifi Trixibelle.................Robert Downey Junior and Susan Downey
Harper Seven....................Bono and Alison Hewson (Stewart)
Kal-El..........................Bob Geldof and Paula Yates
Kyd Miller......................David and Victoria Beckham
Memphis Eve.....................David Duchovny and Tea Leoni
Moon Unit.......................Eddie Murphy and Nicole Mitchell
Moxie Crimefighter..............Jamie Oliver and Jools Oliver
North...........................Alicia Keys and Kaseem Dean
Petal Blossom Rainbow...........Beyonce and Jay Z
Princess Tiaamii................Sylvester Stallone and Sasha Czack
Sage Moonblood..................Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin
Shiloh Nouvel...................Alicia Silverstone and Christopher Jarecki
Summer Rain.....................Gwen Stefani and Gavin Rossdale
Zola Ivy........................Christina Aguilera and Matthew Rutler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: BobHale,

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Wow. Now I am really scared!

So, I put them in the Name Voyager (Remember that - someone posted it years ago. It can keep me occupied for hours. Wink). Only Harper, Memphis, Princess, Sage, Shiloh, Summer and Zola make it, but Zola was from 1880-1940.

And even then, the middle names weren't used, of course. That add a bit more richness. Smile

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
My two favourites are Moxie Crimefighter who is Penn Jillette's daughter and North who will probably hate his father Kanye West for lumbering him with the name North West.

You probably don't know who Jamie Oliver is (he's a celebrity chef in the UK) or which of those kids is his but he also has a son named "Buddy Bear". WHy do celevrities feel the need to do that to their kids?

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jamie Oliver is known here. We get lots of Brit cooking shows, although lately I've gotten hooked on the Australian soap opera, "A Place to Call Home" starring plain old Marta Dusseldorp.

A local woman's name is "Misty." I was tempted to ask if her sister's name were "Foggy."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Stormy might be nice, too. Who knows; maybe that's the name my daughter chose.

posted Hide Post
Hmmmm... Brings to mind the writer Terry Tempest Willians

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
So timely - at my daughter's baby shower one of the games was recognizing strange celebrity's kid names. Unfortunately, I did not get many right - even though many of Bob's were there. Michael Jackson's Blanket was there, and another North is Kim Kardashian's daughter, North West.

You learn something every day. Wink

posted Hide Post
I remember the story about the Italian American uncle recommending "Denise" for his brother's daughter's baby. When asked what he'd recommend had it been a boy he replied, "Denephew."

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Funny!

My favorite story about names, and I've probably posted it somewhere else here, is from a patient I was caring for in OB. She just had a baby and was trying to come up with a unique name. She had decided not to breast feed the baby, so we had to give her a drug to dry up her breasts, Deladumone. "Oh, that is a beautiful drug name," she said. "I am going to name my baby after it." Sure enough, she named her baby Deladumone.