Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Groundhog's Day
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Groundhog's Day Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
I don't remember whether or not you Brits have Groundhog's day or not, but we do have fun with it. In this link they talk about it coming from the tradition of Candlemas. I hadn't known that, and in fact I hadn't heard of "Candlemas." Is it still celebrated does anyone know?

BTW, here is the rhyme they talk about in the link:
Natural disasters have been a terrible thing; tsunamis,
downpours, floods, landslides, heavy snowstorms, avalanches,
frigid temperatures, sleet and freezing rain.
They all cause much destruction, suffering and pain.

When it seems like too much with which to cope;
The coming of spring brings us new hope.
Changing seasons is a wonderful thing.

Now it's Groundhog Day and we think of spring.
Will Spring come early or will it come late?

It's time for me to prognosticate.
As I study the sun
It's all about fun.
But I'm sorry to say
I see my shadow today.
When my shadow I see,
Six more weeks of winter there will be!

[What do you think? Would CJ agree that "tsunamis" and "avalanches" rhyme? Wink]

In Chicago in honor of Groundhog's Day the South Water Kitchen gave a free lunch today...with one catch...you had to eat it outside! Today it was 32 in Chicago, and I happened to walk by there at lunch time. Yep, lots of people were outside eating their lunch, wearing coats and gloves! Brrrr!

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Quote "... I don't remember whether or not you Brits have Groundhog's day or not, ..."

We don't even have groundhogs...

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Strangely enough, we spoke about this precisely a year ago in this thread. Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Sorry, arnie. At least the part about dining alfresco is new!

I have been here since the beginning of wordcraft, and I am at least vaguely aware of those subjects we have talked about from time to time. On the one hand, I hate to repeat things ad nauseum (with the exception of "epicaricacy" Wink). On the other hand, the site does evolve with new people coming and sometimes people leaving for various reasons, so rehashing something can be interesting. I just don't always know when to do it, and when not to. The use of the "apostrophe" as a subject, for example, comes to mind. Any thoughts?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
There's no way I will remember every single subject that we've talked about over the years. However, if someone starts a thread about a subject that we've covered in the past, it makes sense for someone to link to the original discussion, or perhaps simply revive the old thread rather than start a new one.

I don't suggest we faithully search for old threads before making any new post; that would dissuade people from starting them in the first place. However, if you have a memory (even if hazy) of a similar discussion, I'd suggest a forum search first. It is good fun to re-read the old threads, and, as Kalleh says, new members are arriving who didn't have a chance to see the first thread.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
>rehashing something can be interesting

ha! it's the old YART conundrum. you bring up an old discussion hoping it will provide context, enlightenment, whatever; and you get accused of trying to stifle the conversation.

edit: and speaking of Groundhog Day, it seems like every year someone makes a Punxsutawne Phil reference, and it's deja vu all over again. (see Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day".)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tsuwm,

posted Hide Post
Well, Wireton Willy III disagreed with Punxsetawne Phil. It's not that uncommon for Canada's groundhog to disagree with his counterpart across the border. We'll see who gets it right this year.

Posts: 38 | Location: Brampton, Ontario, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I, being a relative newbie 'round these parts, really enjoy both the rehashing (for me it's new, so would it just be hashing?) of the topic and the links to the past (so I can see what's been written before).

For those of you who are writers, or wannabes, Groundhog's Day is one of those holidays that nearly every elementary school teacher talks about, and there are virtually NO good picture books on the topic. I encourage you all to WRITE A READ-ALOUD! And I really mean it!

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That is interesting, CW. I would have assumed there would be a good picture book on it.

edit: and speaking of Groundhog Day, it seems like every year someone makes a Punxsutawne Phil reference, and it's deja vu all over again. (see Bill Murray in "Groundhog Day".)

Well...I can agree with you to a point...however, each year is different as far as seeing his shadow goes.

On the other hand, in reading that site, much more often the groundhog sees his shadow, than not. I wonder why. BTW, does YART stand for "Yet Another Rehashed Topic?" I am not sure.

Sigg, I hope Canada got it right!

posted Hide Post
Ah, but its possible that both could be right. North of the border might be enjoy an early spring while those south may get stuck with a stubborn cold front.

Posts: 38 | Location: Brampton, Ontario, CanadaReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
>does YART stand for "Yet Another Rehashed Topic?"

<nodding head up-and-down>