Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Coming Home
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Coming Home Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
As you probably all know the British airports were opened yesterday after six days closed. The first couple off the plane interviewed last night said, "We've been stranded in Beverly Hills".

Poor things.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
"We've been stranded in Beverly Hills".

Given a choice between Brummagem and Beverly Hills to be stranded for a couple of days, i'd take the former over the latter. At least the accent would be fun to study.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It really has been fun listening to all the stories, hasn't it?

I mentioned this in another post, but one of my train friend's (I only see him when we are waiting for the train) sons is with the World Bank and flew to Kyrgyzstan for some business. Well, as you know, that government was overthrown and he had to be flown out by the U.S. military to Belgrade, where he did a little business. Ah...but then the volcano. He flew to Vienna where he was stuck for days. Vienna sounds fun, my friend said, but they were on the phone all day trying to make plans and the communication about flights wasn't good. He finally got into Washington DC at noon today. That was a 2-week trip from Hell for him!

His colleagues were all over the place, as well. At one point he used his cell phone to call a colleague, and they were both in Dubai, but who knew?

I love the stories.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Restarting was difficult since aircraft and crews were also scattered all over the world. Calamity for people when Mother Nature sneezes! BTW, private aircraft, which operate at lower altitudes, were not grounded, so those with their own planes had the sky to themselves!

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society. -J. Krishnamurti

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post