Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The perils of careless communication
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The perils of careless communication Login/Join

Picture of Richard English
posted
This item appeared in a travel industry newspaper and was, apparently, originally published by that paragon of journalistic virtue, The Sun! It seems to good to be true but it's a good story notwithstanding!

A TEENAGER reportedly ended up with a cabinet instead of a taxi because she asked directory inquiries for a “cab, innit”. According to The Sun, the Londoner, 19, wanted a taxi to
take her to Bristol airport, and first used the Cockney rhyming slang “Joe Baxi”. When the operator told her she couldn’t find anyone by that name, the teen replied, “It ain’t a person, it’s a cab, innit.” The operator then found the nearest cabinet shop, Displaysense, and put the girl through. She then spoke to a bemused saleswoman and eventually demanded, “Look love, how hard
is it? All I want is your cheapest cab, innit. I need it for 10am. How much is it?” The sales adviser said it would be £180, so she gave her address and paid with a credit card. The next morning, an office cabinet was delivered to her South London home.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
It seems to good to be true

Too right, it does! It has all the hallmarks of a joke or an urban legend. What was the date it was published in The Sun? Was it April 1 by any chance?

I tried searching both Snopes and their forums for both 'cab' and 'cabinet' without finding it mentioned, but I expect if the report is brought to their attention, Snopes will swiftly debunk it. Smile

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Googling "cab innit" yields about 2 goopages of results. This meme seems to be spreading through the blogosphere. Yes, we'll see what Snopes reveals.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
According to the Google search suggested by zmj, the story has been published in the Daily Mail and The Metro (a free sheet) newspapers as well as The Sun. None of them is particularly renowned for the accuracy of its reporting. Wink

Most of the other reports are in blogs and forums passing on the tale (with and without attribution).

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Did someone ask Snopes? I asked them something recently, and it just took minutes before I had my answer. I agree that I don't think it's true.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I did c heck with Snopes as I always do before reporting these kinds of improbable stories. At that time they had nothing about it.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
It's an object lesson in how fast stuff spreads on the internet. To me this is clearly and obviously a JOKE, a concept that none of the dozen or so sites I just briefly checked from google. seems to have even considered.

Although it made me laugh, I don't believe a single word of it.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mind you, it's very noticeable how the non-word "innit" does find its way into youthful conversations so frequently. I'm surprised that this joke (and I guess we must assume it is such - even though it was reported in "Travel Daily" as a fact) hasn't cropped up previously.

Richard English

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
The "non-word" (as you described it) serves the function f providing a universal question tag that replaces all the other possible question tags. Like it or loathe it (and personally I loathe it on aesthetic grounds) I suspect that given the demographics of its spread it will eventually enter the language as standard English.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
a universal question tag

On tag questions ([ulr=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_question]link[/url]) in general. I thought innit was just a dialectal (or perhaps sociolectal) pronunciation of isn't it which is used in tag questions even here in the former colonies. It's just one of many features of Estuary English (link).

As to the story, I wondered what a South London girl who spoke Estuary English as her only dialect was doing traveling by cab to Bristol airport. Why not Stansted or Heathrow?

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zmježd:
a universal question tag

I thought innit was just a dialectal (or perhaps sociolectal) pronunciation of isn't it w

No it isn't. It's an emerging universal tag form. It's used to replace ANY tag.

Teenagers, especially from certain socio-economic and ethnic communities regularly form constructions such as the following. (I'm regularising the spelling of the rest of the sentences, though that often varies too.)

I'm coming, innit? (aren't I - which is on odd structure in its orthodox form, when you think about it - why not amn't I?)

He can't do that, innit? (can he)

He drives a taxi, innit? (doesn't he)

He'll be here, innit? (won't he)

as well as to replace "isn't it". The exact substitutions and the extent to which they are used vary according to group and region but it is far more widespread than a simple dialectal variation of "isn't it".

Of course I have no idea if it is even heard in the US. these remarks apply solely to UK English.

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
Of course I have no idea if it is even heard in the US. these remarks apply solely to UK English.

Thanks for that, Bob. Interesting development. The only place I've heard innit is from UK co-workers fooling around in speech, and from Sacha Baron Cohen in his character of Ali G. As for aren't I for amn't I (or ain't I), I figured it was from an intrusive R pronunciation of amn't I. No proof, just a WAG.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
As to the story, I wondered what a South London girl who spoke Estuary English as her only dialect was doing traveling by cab to Bristol airport. Why not Stansted or Heathrow?

Gatwick would have been the logical choice - but there might have been other reasons why she was travelling from Bristol. Maybe she was joining a party who'd booked from there.

But, having said which, she would have been far better off taking a train to Bristol. A cab would take far longer and cost much more. Another fact that suggests that the story is a hoax.

Richard English

Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
We're up to 2,670 ghits today. More blogging and bloviating.

Some debunking is going on, too (link, link, and link). The possible origin seems to have been a press release from a store (link).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zmježd,

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:

I had some friends in college from Waukesha, Wisconsin who used the tag ain't-a (with a silent t) similarly. One of them is a judge now.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Considering the perils of careless communication, I feel obligated to ask .... what is the connection between the judge's present occupation and a slangy tag question he used in his youth?

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
what is the connection between the judge's present occupation and a slangy tag question he used in his youth?

neveu will have to answer for his own intended meaning, but I took it to mean: his friend used non-standard language in his indiscreet youth, but managed to become a judge in spite of it. The usual implication being that using something along the lines of innit will not only lead to the ruin of The Language, but of the person who uses it. I could be reading something into it, though.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
quote:
neveu will have to answer for his own intended meaning

Just giving a shout-out to my homeboy Ralphie. Yo! Ral-PHIE!

For what it's worth, another became a district attorney. I think the third one lives in his parent's basement. It was college. We all sounded like idiots. But I grew up 60 miles west of them and I'd never heard ain't-a (used exactly like innit) before. Has anyone else?

posted Hide Post
I've never heard it before either. But Tom Tolan has:
quote:
When I was a kid, my mom used to tell me, if I used the word ain’t, "Ain’t ain’t in the dictionary." Today, of course, with dictionaries striving to reflect actual speech more and dictate proper usage less, ain’t is in the dictionary. But aina ain’t – at least not in Webster’s. Aina is a short way of asking, "Ain’t it so?" or "Don’t you agree?" at the end of a statement. As in, "It’s cold out, aina?" or "She’s a good-looking woman, aina?" You used to hear it a lot more around here than you do today. (Do you still hear it? E-mail me!)

The Dictionary of American Regional English, my bible for this blog, actually gives its preferred spelling as ainna, and calls it an "interrogatory exclamation," or a "tag question," meaning something you ask at the end of a sentence. The regional English dictionary, much of which is based on field work from many decades ago, points out that the word was found chiefly in German settlement areas – including St. Louis as well as Milwaukee. But the dictionary also cites one of its southeastern Wisconsin informants as saying that a slightly different pronunciation, enna, was the "Polish version of Milwaukee aina." It's not the only such word in the regional dictionary, which also describes "innit" (short for "isn't it") as a tag question in the Cheyenne Indian dialect of English, and in south-central Oklahoma. "You're going up north, innit?"

And from the Urban Dictionary:
quote:
Aina or Ainna

Slang contraction for "Ain't-it-the-truth", used in northern and central New Jersey, in wide useage by mid 1960s. It is not known how widespread this word may be.
Someone says to you, "Sure is hot today"! and you reply "Aina"!

Plain and Fancy is a 1956 Broadway musical comedy involving a New York couple and the Pennsylvania Amish. Here are some uses of ain't in the play:
[LIST]
  • p. 59
    "I love you so and we can get a house
    And you can fix it nice with paint ...
    And when the stars is out, we'll feel so fine,
    But when the stars is all, you'll love me ... ain't?"

• p. 63
    He must believe that you are good Amish. And you will be, ain't, Peter?

Like it was a long time ago, ain't?

• p. 82
    I think it means you like me, ain’t?
  •  
    Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Some debunking is going on, too (link, link, and link). The possible origin seems to have been a press release from a store (link).
    As I have discovered since taking on the role of a freelance writer for a travel industry paper, journalists need do very little to get stories. I am bombarded with press releases from PR companies, all of which appear to be plausible and accurate. In fact, I rarely use any of them without calling contacts to check the latest information before writing.

Of course, my work is in features, not news, and so I am under less pressure than are news reporters; the only news reporting I have done is on conferences, where I take my own notes and write my own story.

Richard English

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    the word was found chiefly in German settlement areas – including St. Louis as well as Milwaukee. But the dictionary also cites one of its southeastern Wisconsin informants as saying that a slightly different pronunciation, enna, was the "Polish version of Milwaukee aina."

Cool! I always wondered whether it was a Milwaukee thing or just a localized expression (they all went to the same high school).

posted Hide Post
    I just found Plain and Fancy in Google books. The page numbers for the quotes I cited are 32, 33, and 41 in this copy.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of zmježd
    posted Hide Post
    Thanks for the write-up, tinman, and the link which lead to a couple of new language blogs.

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

posted Hide Post
    The next logical step would be the question, "Inna cab, innit minutes ter Heathrow?" to which someone necessarily replies, "I'm sorry I can't recall a Minister Heathrow."

Posts: 35 | Location: Saugerties, New YorkReply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of Kalleh
    posted Hide Post
    FWIW, I asked Snopes. I'll eat my hat if it's true, though.

posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by BobHale:
    No it isn't. It's an emerging universal tag form. It's used to replace ANY tag.

Another example of how a nonstandard variant is more regular than standard English.

Picture of Kalleh
    posted Hide Post
    Snopes hasn't answered me. I just received an automatic email saying to search for it, and I had searched and searched with all kinds of key words and hadn't found it. Sorry.

posted Hide Post
    Snopes aren't good at answering, although, to be fair, they do warn you that the volume of emails they receive means that they can only deal with a small percentage of them.

In fact, they did reply to me when I wrote to them about an article they had published which suggested that racing cars (race cars) were never painted green since it was considered an unlucky colour. I told them that, whereas this might be true in the USA, green is Britain's national colour for its racing cars - and Britain's achievements in the motor-racing field are not inconsiderable. They agreed that their piece was written from a US point of view.

Richard English