Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The "Vanna White Veto"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "Vanna White Veto" Login/Join

Picture of Chris J. Strolin
posted
Happened upon this unusual term in a dictionary devoted to neologisms and thought you might find it interesting. It apparently was only practiced in the state of Wisconsin and has since been outlawed. I love my country but the ranges of our own foolishness can astound me.

Vanna White veto n. a form of line-item veto that permits an elected official to strike single letters in legislation.
English. Politics. Wisconsin. [Vanna White is hostess for the game show “Wheel of Fortune,” where she is responsible for revealing letters on a large board at the direction of contestants.] This term is specific to Wisconsin, where this type of veto—also called a pick-a-letter veto and similar to the digit veto, which allowed the striking of single numerals—is no longer permitted by state law.

1990 Craig Gilbert Milwaukee Journal (Wisc.) (Mar. 25) “Vote to decide on use of partial veto” p. 1: The power is the governor’s partial veto, which includes the unusual ability to take a bill and change its meaning by vetoing the individual letters of words. The result can be the creation of whole new words and a whole new law. Democrats have dubbed the practice the “Vanna White veto.” 2005 David Callender Capital Times (Madison, Wisc.) (Aug. 6) “Doyle detects new love: the veto”: The governor also used to be able to strike individual letters to create new words—the so-called “Vanna White veto,” named after the letter-turner on “Wheel of Fortune”—but those powers were reined in under a 1990 constitutional amendment.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You know that's got that awful "snopes should take a look at this" feel to it...

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd just check snopes in case, and turned up this amusing page which seems to equate Vanna White's acting ability (or rather lack of it) with that of the legendary Pia Zadora.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
It apparently was only practiced in the state of Wisconsin and has since been outlawed

Wouldn't you know...it's my home state! Red Face

I found this article from the Madison Capital Times, a good Wisconsin newspaper, validating the practice. They also mention the Frankenstein veto, where they 'stitch together' words from sentences to create new sentences. It all seems to be such an abuse of power. As the article stated: "The Wisconsin Constitution gives the governor some of the broadest veto powers of any chief executive in the country - far greater than those given the president in the U.S. Constitution."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post