Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    It would be funny if it didn't make me ashamed of my hometown
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

It would be funny if it didn't make me ashamed of my hometown Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
I follow a couple of groups on FB about my hometown. mainly to see the pictures that people post. Sadly there is an unpleasant streak of racism that is a common theme among many of the people posting... you know the kind of thing - "coming over here, taking our jobs" etc.

This is from a recent post: "We don't have communities anymore, we have awful ghettos where groups of Poles, Roma gypsies, Somalians, Pakistani Muslims and every other type of foreigner has colonised and subsequently run down an area."

The poster's name? Vasocak. Gotta love the irony.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yeah. We're hearing the same thing over here, Bob. Little kids trying to escape from horrible times in Central America - and we worry about "immigration" of children? Does no one in the US remember our roots? Geez, it's irritating.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't suppose the foreign policies of our two countries has had anything whatsoever to do with the refugee problem. We've always worked, overtly and covertly, to support the little guy against tyrants. This couldn't possibly be a case of the chickens coming home to roost.

Posts: 6171 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
The children of immigrants complaining about the children of immigrants.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Amen, Proof!

<Proofreader>
posted
Sometimes politicians make comments and you really aren't able to deduce if they are joking or serious. Case in point:

A woman council member In Richmond, CA, is openly gay and she's been heckled during meetings. Some say she has been remarkably serene in the face of name-calling but not so much when it comes from fellow council members.

One councillor had this to ssy:

"She's got a short fuse," Councilman Corky Boozé told the Chronicle. "Some people don't care for her lifestyle. I don't care for it myself, but she takes that in a homophobic way. I'm not homophobic -- my ex-wife is a lesbian."

Huh

posted Hide Post
I suspect he's serious. Many gays and lesbians have previously been married. I know one woman who was once married to a woman and is now married to a man .

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Agreed, Tinman. It's a different day today where they can "come out" or whatever you call it. Is there another more politically correct word for it?

posted Hide Post
Nancy Kulp, best known as Jane Hathaway of "The Beverly Hillbillies," was married for 10 years, from 1951 to 1961, but revealed in a 1989 interview that she a was lesbian.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
was married for 10 years, from 1951 to 1961, but revealed in a 1989 interview that she a was lesbian.

Even worse, for all that time she was a dedicated thespian.

<Proofreader>
posted
On the local news, in a story about the Kurds surrounded by Islamist forces, "The US government is considering humanitarian efforts to help people trapped on top of a mountain starving and dying of thirst."

I always thought mountains just eroded.

<Proofreader>
posted
Here is what seems to be a new term -- a "poor door" for tenants who pay less than the going rate in condos. I wonder what the entryway for the more affluent is called: a "rich niche"? A "cash pass"? The "gentry entry"?

The indigent really shouldn't complain, though. They could have labeled it "peasant entrance."