Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Fry's Planet Word
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fry's Planet Word Login/Join

Picture of arnie
posted
I realise only a couple of us will be able to see it, but here's a heads-up anyway. Stephen Fry has made a new five-part series Fry's Planet Word, which first airs next Sunday, the 25th, at 9pm on BBC2.

Unfortunately those outside the UK won't be able to see it because of copyright issues, so I hope BBC America or similar take it up as I'm sure it would be interesting to all of us.

I found a Youtube link while searching about it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2P6DcSyon4 ; it dates from October 2010.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: arnie,

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
I found a Youtube link while searching about it, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q2P6DcSyon4 ; it dates from October 2010.

Our languages divided in the same way that our races divided? Really?

English is a mongrel language? Really?

Chinese writing is phonetic.

I'm looking forward to it. Fry used the chess metaphor in this old awesome Fry and Laurie sketch.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I'm currently at work, and our desktops don't have speakers, so I confess all I saw of the interview was Fry's talking head, with no sound. I'll take a look at it in proper detail when I get home.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

posted Hide Post
I really enjoyed that little video of Fry talking about the show. I think it's going to be a good show. But there were a few small things he said that struck me as weird.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I say the first episode last night. It was quite good, and focused on the early development of language in prehistory and in very young children.