Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eggcorns Login/Join

Picture of Caterwauller
posted
NPR piece on Eggcorns - anyone else hear it? Click here to listen.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
Many years ago, when it was considered scandalous for unmarrieeds to live together, my brother was between marriages and living with his now-wife. My mother was outraged, thinking it discredited her good name. One night she was very happy and told me, "Your brother is going to get married in May." I was surprised because I had just seen him and he didn't say anything to me.

Later, I called him and mentioned the conversation. He laughed and said she misheard him. It seems my mother asked him, for the hundredth time, if he was going to marry Joan. And he replied, "We may."

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
Language Log mentions this, plus other eggcorny links, including the first post there about them in 2003.

Note that it has taken until now for the word to make it into Merriam-Webster, but it made the OED in 2010 and the AHD in 2011.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Ah, yes. Loved the links on Language Log. Still, I get eggcorns, malapropisms and mondegreens mixed up.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post