Wordcraft Community Home Page
bitumen

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/741603894/m/87910094

February 11, 2009, 01:08
neveu
bitumen
I need a new roof. I've been advised to replace my tar and gravel roof with a modified bitumen roof.Which of the following most closely resembles the way you pronounce "bitumen" (the highly viscous, black, sticky liquid that is entirely soluble in carbon disulfide)?bye-TOO-menbit-TOO-menBIT-too-menBIT-uh-min
February 11, 2009, 03:43
BobHale
But actually more like

BI (as in bit) chew mun

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
February 11, 2009, 04:20
Richard English
What Bob said - that is, none of the pronunciations suggested.

Richard English
February 11, 2009, 04:41
arnie
As Bob and Richard. Since there's no "none of the above" choice, I've not voted.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
February 11, 2009, 10:49
neveu
quote:
"none of the above"

Interesting. I've only heard it pronounced two ways in the U.S., and I'm wondering if there is a regional difference. So the common British pronunciation is roughly BI (as in bit) chew mun ?
February 11, 2009, 12:43
BobHale
Exactly so

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.
February 11, 2009, 20:22
Kalleh
Interesting. I've never heard it pronounced with a "chew."
February 12, 2009, 01:12
Richard English
quote:
Interesting. I've never heard it pronounced with a "chew."

Purists would complain about this pronunciation, but nevertheless most normal apeakers would slur the "tu" sound into a "chew" sound in words containing "tu" in a unstressed position.

"BIT-yu-men" would be considered rather affected - even though it is probably more accurate.

Richard English
February 12, 2009, 21:26
neveu
I've heard two pronunciations: bye-TOO-mun, which is how I would pronounce it, and bit-uh-min, with approximately equal stress on each syllable. The second is the only pronunciation I've heard from contractors in California.