Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pre Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
hat is the difference between "pre-drill a hole" and "drill a hole"? Is there a difference between "order" and "pre-order"?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Order = order something that is available now
Pre-order = order something that is not available till later

Drill a hole just means drill a hole, pre-drill a hole means drill a hole that you will need later.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Drill a hole just means drill a hole, pre-drill a hole means drill a hole that you will need later.

Why can't you just say "Drill a hole" instead of "Pre-drill a hole". No matter what, you have to use a drill, and you're wasting a prefix.

Also, how can there be a "pre-order"? You can either order something or you can't. I'd consider this a "reservation".

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Conserve your prefixes or we'll run out!

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
quote:

Why can't you just say "Drill a hole" instead of "Pre-drill a hole". No matter what, you have to use a drill, and you're wasting a prefix.

Also, how can there be a "pre-order"? You can either order something or you can't. I'd consider this a "reservation".

Perhaps you would. However almost every on-line shopping site I've ever used makes this distinction. An order for for something they can deliver now and a pre-order is for an item that will be available sometime in the future. It's particularly common when ordering books, music or dvds that have a release date scheduled but have not yet been released. Personally it's a distinction that I find useful. Often pre-ordering will carry a good discount. Drill and pre-drill perhaps less so but if you have ever bought furniture from Ikea you know that the holes are pre-drilled... they are there already, you don't have to drill them. Sure the actual physical operation is "drilling" but the purpose is pre-drilling. Again, it seems a perfectly sensible and useful distinction to me. Perhaps it doesn't seem so to you but like it or not, that's the normal usage.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Actually, the more I think about it, the more this seems like an entirely uncontentious usage of "pre". "Pre-cut", "pre-moulded", "pre-pay", "pre-allocate", "pre-wash" all seem perfectly normal usage to me and all have the meaning of doing something before it is actually needed so that when it is needed it's ready to go. I can't understand why anybody would object.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The all make sense to me, too, with the exception of "pre-drill" a hole. I have to agree with Proof on that one.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post