Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    "An English Accent"
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

"An English Accent" Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
For my overseas friends who don't follow British news...

Apparently while visiting Birmingham (just a stones throw from my home of Wolverhampton) dear old Prince Phillip asked a train announcer if she announced with her Birmingham accent. When she replied that she didn't he commented 'I suppose you've got to announce in an English accent so everyone can understand you.'
So, people from the Midlands don't have an 'English accent'? I'm not a Brummie but close enough that old Phil probably wouldn't know the difference.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That is so funny! Big Grin

I do remember that Brummie accent, though, and it reminds me of a Bronx accent. Hardly understandable. I was stopped at a toll booth on a bridge in New York once when I just couldn't understand the gentleman in the booth because of his strong Bronx accent. Cars were lined up behind me while I tried to understand him. And we are in the same country, each speaking English.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
You might not be aware of it but Prince Phillip is renowned for saying things like this.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post