Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Nasty Brit talk
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nasty Brit talk Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
OEDILF had a question about whether the word bollocks if used in a lim was curtainable (should be blocked for gentler readers). Results aren't in yet but a list of offensive terms was recently published

https://www.indy100.com/articl...ranked-ofcom-7340446

so you can learn how to be obscene if you ever visit GB.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I haven't been to OEDILF for a long time. However, just today I was thinking of contacting CJ there because of the gunman (James Hodgekinson) who shot the congressmen in Washington DC being from Belleview - CJ's hometown.

Your link only calls it "medium" in offensiveness so I'd say no curtain. Interestingly, I hadn't heard of many of those words.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
This I have to see... I'll be back when I have checked the link...

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Well it isn't anywhere near all the swearwords but what's there is mostly about right.

Goddam isn't really used in England as far as I know though both "God" and "Damn" are separately

Feck isn't really used in speech. As far as I know it was a made up swearword for the TV series Father Ted so that they didn't have to use a real one. If not made up for that it was certainly popularised by it. If it belongs anywhere it should be in "mild"

Pissed and pissed off should be listed separately as they are totally different. Pissed is drunk and pissed off is annoyed.

Son of a bitch isn't used at all in the UK.

Beef curtains and punani I've never heard.
Bukkake isn't really a swear word.
Ho isn't really used.

Wanker is one of those odd words that can, depending on context, range from friendly to extremely hostile.

I wonder how the 150 words were chosen in the first place? And why words we don't use were included but words like "tosser", "pisshead" and "shithead" weren't.

Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
Really surprised to see "fanny" categorized as strong. Over here, that's just a notch stronger than 'bottom'. Equivalent to Brit "bum".

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I learned a few new words and am presently planning how to work them into conversations.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bethree5:
Really surprised to see "fanny" categorized as strong. Over here, that's just a notch stronger than 'bottom'. Equivalent to Brit "bum".

Except that that isn't what it means over here. Front rather than back. Red Face

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Bob, if son of a bitch isn't used in England, is bitch?

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Going purely on my gut feeling and with no evidence whatsoever, I'd say that it is used sometimes but it isn't all that common.
"Bitch" as a verb is also used meaning "complain".

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Maybe arnie would like to weigh in? After all this could all be region specific.

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I pretty much agree with Bob. "Son of a bitch" isn't really used here, apart from some people who want to ape what they've heard on American TV shows. "Bitch" is used, mainly by women describing another woman. "Fanny" is used the way Bob describes, although I confess the word doesn't come up that often in the circles I frequent. There is some cheap amusement whenever an American refers to a "fanny pack"; they are called "bum bags" over here.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, Bitch in the U.S. often is used to describe women, too.

posted Hide Post
Why hasn't someone mentioned that in the Midlands, and maybe elsewhere, "trump" is slang for "fart?"

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
The whole Bitch discussion made me wonder, is there an equivalent word for a man?

posted Hide Post
Literally, "bitch" is female whereas "dog" is male. In past times "cur" was used as a male pejorative.

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post