Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Tenth of several
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tenth of several Login/Join

Picture of BobHale
posted
Today will see the announcement by the BBC of who will replace David Tennant in the role of Doctor Who. This, while not exactly the lead story, has made the national news on all the channels. I'm moderately interested but what caught my attention particularly was this comment on the BBC news.

"David Tennant is the tenth of several actors to play the Doctor."

There seems to be something odd about it to me. I can't quite put my finger on it but the phrase "tenth of several" seems wrong. Ten seems too many to be part of several, especially as the phrasing (tenth rather than last or most recent) seems to imply that there were more after him so that the number he is part of is even bigger.

Any opinions.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
....is the tenth actor to play....

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I suspect that it is the noun, actors, that doesn't sit well with "several".

Were the sentence to have been, "This is the tenth of several attempts to find an actor to play Dr Who" then I would probably have no quarrel with it.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
He is of course the tenth of eleven actors to play the Doctor as the latest (to be announced) has already recorded at least one episode.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arnie:
He is of course the tenth of eleven actors to play the Doctor as the latest (to be announced) has already recorded at least one episode.

Perish the thought that I should be pedantic but even without the new guy I make it at least eleven and possibly twelve or thirteen depending what you are willing to count. But definitely eleven.

Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
Ten still seems to many to be considered several to me. Where does "several stop".

How about "The ninety ninth of several attempts..."

Fiftieth? Twentieth? To me nothing higher than about half a dozen would be "several".

<Proofreader>
posted
According to MW, several is more than two but not many. If you are going to compare "ten" to another quantity, that quantity should be part of the equation and not some abstract term like "several".

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm with Proofreader here -- several is redundant because tenth implies it.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I agree with Proof and neveu. I also think the use of several makes the sentence unclear.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
According to MW, several is more than two but not many. If you are going to compare "ten" to another quantity, that quantity should be part of the equation and not some abstract term like "several".

The online MW says several can mean
quote:
2 a: more than one <several pleas>
b: more than two but fewer than many <moved several inches>
c: chiefly dialect: being a great many

Confusing, isn't it. By the way, how many is many?

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I checked MW and others and they all have variations on "more than two (very specific) but less than many (very vague)".

It does seem from the replies that people generally find the sentence a bit odd though for various reasons.

I still can't quite put my finger on my objection. "One of several", "Two of several", "Three of several" all sound OK to me but "Ninety of Several", "Twenty of several" and "|Ten of several" don't.

posted Hide Post
quote:
By the way, how many is many?

Six.

Posts: 1242 | Location: San FranciscoReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I wondered how many is many, too, when I read this thread. I found it curious, for example, that without specifically defining many, MW defines several in terms of many, which isn't explicitly defined. I suppose because of the "sev" in several, I had always been told that several was about 7.

In looking up many on Onelook and the OED, I was surprised at how large a number many is supposed to indicate. There were definitions such as numerous, indefinite, a great or considerable number or consisting of a great number.

I thought we had "many" over for Thanksgiving, and we only had 15...not an indefinite number! Roll Eyes

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Reviving a thread...

Shu and I had a discussion about "several" tonight, and I guess my view of the word is not in synch with the dictionary's (nice way of not saying I'm wrong, right?). I think of several as being at least 7 or more. I don't know where I got 7, but I think I learned it in school. The dictionaries say it's more than 2 - one says it's more than 1. If I said I had several children, people would never think I only had 3.

What do you mean by several? Few? Many?

posted Hide Post
Three is my starting point.

I'm also puzzled by "myriad." When one says "...myriad something or other," it suggests to me a meatphorical usage, but when, as is now common, one says, "a myriad of something or other," I assume the author means exactly ten thousand. I suppose it depends on which part of speech one considers it to be.

Posts: 6169 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post