Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    The Affects of Childhood Trauma
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Affects of Childhood Trauma Login/Join

posted
I am currently working on my doctorate of philosophy in clinical psychology. I am interested in discussing various topics and am asking your feedback about this issue. What are your thoughts on this matter? What do you know about this subject? Do you feel that children are affected and can the issue prove a long term issue? What are the dire affects/effects of this issue? What are the positive outcomes from such an issue?

I do look forward to your feedback.

Thank you for your valuable time and efforts.

Respectfully,

Asa

Posts: 6 | Location: Williams Lake, BC; Edmonton, Alberta; Everett, WashingtonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Having suffered brain trauma at age thirteen, then again at age forty-four, I can say that what Oliver Sacks said in "The Man Who Mistook His Wife For A Hat" is true: Those who don't know what they don't know may be happy. Those who do know that they don't know may be miserable. The loss of the use of one eye and slight cognitive impairment at thirteen left me struggling to read, whereas I was previously a very good reader. The later injury literally transformed me from Mensa to "Densa." Loss of cognitive processes required intensive cognitive rehabilitation. One can sometimes relearn how to think and learn, but seldom do such functions fully recover. I've struggled with self-image since that latter incident, having lost much of who I was.

Should you want more details, send a private message.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Asa is one of our brightest people here. I am sorry you can't see that, Asa.

If you are talking childhood psychological trauma, I can refer you to an article that was written after a school shooting in an elementary school where my kids went to school. Many of the kids (1st through 5th graders) are still affected by what happened then, even though that shooting took place in 1988. I remember the dreams many of the kids had and their fears. It was interesting to see the different way the fathers and mothers reacted. The mothers got together, got their kids together, hugged each other, cried, and developed deeper relationships. The fathers met in local businesses and planned emergency buttons in the schools, how they needed receptionists in all schools, and the new lockdown system. The reactions were quite different, and I suppose we needed both kinds. Still, I always felt that the women (and maybe the girls?) would do better in the long run.

Welcome to our site, and we'd love to hear some of your thoughts on words and language.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your feedback. I have truly appreciated your perspectives and constructive feedback. Thank you.

Respectfully,

Asa

P.S. I thoroughly enjoy a broad array of authors and philosophical thinkers. By the way, I do love a the art of language as well.

Posts: 6 | Location: Williams Lake, BC; Edmonton, Alberta; Everett, WashingtonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Strange that we have 2 Asas now. [Does the plural of Asa have an apostrophe?]

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
quote:
[Does the plural of Asa have an apostrophe?]

I do hope that was meant tongue-in-cheek, Kalleh! Eek

Perhaps we should start referring to them as Asa Major and Asa Minor?

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
When a plural of something looks like another word (such as as for a's), then I get confused. Asas just looked like a word to me, but in looking it up, it's only an acronym and a Lithuanaian word for "ace." So, I guess I'm good to go with this one. What if "asas" were a word though? Do you just use assume the person will know the word out of context, as in "You have put too many as in that word."?

So, it's a half tongue in cheek, I guess.

posted Hide Post
Asa

Usage: Biblical, Jewish & Christian Name

Other Scripts: אָסָא (Hebrew)

Pronounced: AY-sa [key]

Means "doctor" in Hebrew. This name was borne by a king of Judah in the Old Testament and New Testament in Matthew Chapter One.

Another meaning is "The Cure", Healer, and physician.

Have a marvelous day.

Respectfully,

Asa

Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard, Asa.

I spent two summers (1956 - 1957) "working" in Glacier National Park, which, as you well know, together with Waterton Lakes National Park, forms Waterton-Glacier International Peace Park.

My job was to find and report forest fires, and my favorite entertainment radio station was CJOC in Lethbridge, Alberta, which they said was "THE VOICE OF THE SUNNY SOUTH."

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
Hi, Asa,

Since that's your actual name, and I've been using it as a pseudonym, I'll change to my actual name.
Besides, I'm much more of a pestilence than a healer! Wink

The poster formally known as Asa Lovejoy

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful trip to British Columbia, where we visited our son an daughter in law in their new home in Hedley.

We travelled through the Glacier National Park (the US part) on our way there and back on the Empire Builder (the best way to get from Chicago to Seattle, providing you're not watching your weight!)

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
Welcome, New Asa!

I have no insights for you on the effects of childhood trauma, but we will enjoy having you join our word discussions and games.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jerry thomas
posted Hide Post
Forgive me for the (possible) political incorrectness of this post. I want to emphasize the idea that no malice is intended, and I fear that among our many visitors there might be some who would negatively criticize any local mis-use of the words in our language, particularly in a headline ..... blah blah blah .....

If anyone else is interested we might all work together to convert the following DD/Limerick hybrid doggerel Cool Big Grin into a work of art or a thing of value. ...

Higgledy piggledy
Asa of Canada
Wordcrafters welcomes your
Charm and your wit.

You have our attention;
No one here will mention
The affect / effect thing
For that would be picking a nit.

Edited to correct a spelling error (horrors!)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jerry thomas,

Posts: 6708 | Location: Kehena Beach, Hawaii, U.S.A.Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Welcome, ASA 2....

jerry, you are just a prize!!

Posts: 3737 | Location: Georgia, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I agree with KHC.

Now...speaking of nits, let me workshop that DD of yours... Wink

Asa 2...we have fun here!

Asa 1, you do not need to change your name. We'll keep you straight. After all, we also have 2 Cats. I will ask Arnie, but I think you have to change your name completely and then you'd lose all those 3500 posts!

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I second that. I don't think the rest of us are quite so dim that we can't keep two people with the same first name straight. I know several Johns, a couple of Peters, at least three Grahams (although I admit one spells his name Graeme), and so on.

However, if you are dead set on confusing us even more by changing, Go > Personal Zone > Profile. Click on "View/Edit Complete Profile" and scroll down to "Display Name". Change as required and click the "Submit" button at the foot of the page.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Group,

I do appreciate your kindness and the warmth that I have received over these past couple of weeks. I must admit that I am new at the concept of chatting. I have occasionally had experiences in chat rooms, but for the most part I am not use to the chatting environment. Okay, you caught me, jerry I am not an expert when it involves the language and craft of our human form of communication. Yet, I do adore the language and am trying to evolve to a state worthy of your time. (A little humor)

Asa Lovejoy, I am okay with your desire to use the name Asa. I think that it is sort of complimentary to have someone desire to use the name. Of course, I can not take credit for your desire to use the name; however, I think it gives our chat group sort of a niche. Thank you for your consideration.

I am presently working on my doctoral dissertation and should return to the task at hand.

May I learn to be as elegant with words those within this chat group.

Thank you for everything.

Asa

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
Let me add my own welcomes.

By one of those amazing coincidences I was quite near to you only a couple of weeks back, when I was staying with our son and daughter-in-law. They now live in Hedley, on highway 3 between Princeton and Penticton. Only a couple of hundred miles away.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dear Richard

I was considering a residency-internship in the community of Penticton. I had visited the town when I had interviwed for at position at the local community hospital. It is an intriguing town and much larger than I had presumed.

Thank you for your time and feedback.

Respectfully,

Asa