Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    I don't get it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I don't get it Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Here's an interesting new word I found on the web today.

sexting: Sending a salacious text message. [Blend of sex and texting.] —sext v.,
n. —sexter

I think I'm on their "do not call" list.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Can't say that I've heard it. I searched Google and found a few citations (such as Word Spy) using it, but not many.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Asa Lovejoy>
posted
I don't understand what's meant by a text message. Isn't this a text message?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
That's a good point, Asa. I think most people understand it to mean those messages sent by a cell phone, but all of these messages are text messages, aren't they? Technically, at least.

Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
quote:
That's a good point, Asa. I think most people understand it to mean those messages sent by a cell phone, but all of these messages are text messages, aren't they? Technically, at least.

I think this discussion is about txt msgs not text messages.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard English:
quote:

I think this discussion is about txt msgs not text messages.

And I think Asa is a very smart guy who sometimes fails to have his humour recognised by his peers, which is odd as it often strikes me as having a very British quality to it. (By which I mean he often makes remarks that I might have made.)

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Caterwauller
posted Hide Post
I've heard the term "sexting" in discussions about how teens are using technology and how they are getting into trouble with it.

And I agree with you, Bob - I think you and Asa have very similar humor genes.

"Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.
~Dalai Lama

Posts: 5149 | Location: Columbus, OhioReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
quote:
Asa is a very smart guy who sometimes fails to have his humour recognised by his peers,
I agree that Asa has a great sense of humor and that he is smart. However, in my defense (as apparently I missed the humor), I don't think not getting humor means you're not so smart. Humor seems to be very different for different people.