Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Can you get these?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you get these? Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
Here is a geography quiz that a local 6thh grader won. Could you get the answers?

1) Name the Baltic country that replaced the kroon with the euro in early 2011, becoming the most recent country to join the eurozone.

2) What body of water connects the Gulf of Oman with the Persian Gulf?

3) What landlocked African country harvests timber and floats it down the Ubangi River to transportation facilities in the Democratic Republic of the Congo?

4) The Golden Mile, a popular stretch of beach along the Indian Ocean, is located in the city of Durban in what country?

5) The city of Baghdad is located on what river in southwest Asia?

6) Tauranga is a seaport on the Bay of Plenty in what island country?

1)Estonia 2) Strait of Hormuz 3) Central African Republic 4) South Africa 5) Tigris River 6) New Zealand

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zmježd
posted Hide Post
I only got two right: (1) and (5).

Ceci n'est pas un seing.

Posts: 5148 | Location: R'lyehReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordmatic
posted Hide Post
And I only got 3, 4 and 6 right. Here's how ignorant I am of geography: until a year and a half ago, when I began "following" the "British Monarchy" on Twitter, I had never even heard of the Central African Republic. Then one day there were photos on Twitter of QE2 shaking hands with the president of CAR. So I spent the next hour googling it. In my childhood years, I believe it was called French Equitorial Africa. Other than that, I did know where Durban was (wasn't Kalleh there for a conference a few years ago?) and the Bay of Plenty, since my sister lives in NZ. Very shameful. Now I'll have to spend the rest of the day studying world maps.

Wordmatic

Posts: 1390 | Location: Near Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I got 1, 4, 5, and 6 right.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
I got them all right. The answers were right there.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Americans are notoriously ignorant in geography, so this was pretty good for a 6th grader.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post