Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    Good news for drunk kayakers in Canada!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good news for drunk kayakers in Canada! Login/Join

posted

Posts: 6168 | Location: Muncie, IndianaReply With QuoteReport This Post
<Proofreader>
posted
The astounding part for me is that you can lose your driver's license. Do you have to pass a driver's test for a kayak?

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, the penalty should be different.

It is amazing how authorities often read so much into the law, which can affect people for years to come. For example, the use of a "paintball gun" in our community was considered using a "weapon." Some teens were charged with using a weapon, when in fact they were just playing with paintball guns on Halloween - with no harm done to anyone or any property. Fortunately, the lawyers were on it, and that didn't stand.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Would a sobriety test require the accused to spell "kayak" backwards?

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
In all fairness, the drunk who tipped his canoe did cause an 8-year-old girl to drown, so the results can be disastrous when boaters are drunk - but perhaps they should be charged with something like manslaughter instead.

<Proofreader>
posted
One huge misapplication of law is the one banning "switchblades" in NYC. It bans any knife which can be opened with a flick of the wrist. Sounds reasonable till you learn that police (presumably after much practice) learned how to flick open an ordinary jackknife. This is a skill not many have gained but it means many innocent workmen who use knives for their occupation were arrested for violating law they had no idea they had broken.

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Could I be arrested for carrying my small Swiss Army Knife then?

<Proofreader>
posted
quote:
Could I be arrested for carrying my small Swiss Army Knife then?

I believe there's a legal length but there's also a conflict with the "flick" opening. Even though it may be legal length, opening it with a flick classifies it as a switch blade.

posted Hide Post
The poor schmuck who was married to Margaret Thatcher had a switch blade wife.