Wordcraft Home Page    Wordcraft Community Home Page    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  Potpourri    That's how they say it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

That's how they say it Login/Join

<Proofreader>
posted
Here s a story about how people in various cities actually pronounce heir names.

Just for the record, I may be out of commission for a while due to work on my foot. They say I won't need an ambulance, just a toe truck.

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Proofreader:
They say I won't need an ambulance, just a toe truck.

You have to go to Seattle to get a toe truck.

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Interesting that they didn't include Oregon. Many people pronounce that wrong. Most of the listed ones I have apparently been misprouncing, though not Louisville or Spokane. I find Missouri interesting. Parts of Missouri pronounce it Mi-ZIR-ee; other parts pronounce it Mi-Zir-ah.

So funny, Tinman. Big Grin

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The two most common pronunciations of Missouri I heard at the University of Missouri during the '60s were:

1 and 2. I also heard it jokingly pronounced misery.

I think pronunciation 2 was a little more common. It seemed to me that people from the North seemed to use pronunciation 1 more often and people from the South tended to use pronunciation 2. It may be an urban/rural difference also.

Wikipedia says " Further pronunciations also exist in Missouri or elsewhere in the United States . . . "

This message has been edited. Last edited by: tinman,

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Yes, I say it like #1. So, Tinman, being from Washington state, how do you say Oregon?

Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
This isn't unique to North America, of course. Take my home town, Greenwich. nowadays a suburb of London. Most 'outsiders' know enough so they don't pronounce the final syllable like 'which', but usually only Londoners know that the first syllable rhymes with 'grin', not 'green'. It's usually pronounced 'Grinnidge' or 'Grinnitch', with the ultra-locals mostly using the latter variant.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Oregon

I know of Greenwich only because of GMT ('Grinnitch' Mean Time).

Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
It must be the midwest then where many (not me anymore) stress the last syllable with ON.

I also pronounce it "Grinnitch."