Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wit Login/Join

Picture of pearce
posted
There was a poll here in March 2005 on definitions of wit, which not surprisingly was inconclusive, and strayed widely.
I just came across a quotation from the truly witty Noel Coward:
"Wit is like caviar--it should be served in small portions,

Possibly the best definition, or my favourite, at least, is a natural aptitude for using words and ideas in a quick and inventive way to create humour. It is difficult to define this elusive attribute, but most of us recognise it when we encounter it. Perhaps this may refresh that tasty discussion.

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard English
posted Hide Post
I have met a few witty people around; sadly they seem always to be outnumbered by those whose wits are measured fractionally - generally 50%.

Richard English

Posts: 8038 | Location: Partridge Green, West Sussex, UKReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
I was idly browsing google on the subject of "wit", and came across this snippet from a Jack London story called "The Wit of Porportuk." It's in the beginning, where he describes a girl who has been separated from her tribe and brought to a convent school to be raised.

"Her father was a chief, and his blood ran in her veins. Obedience, on the part of El-Soo, was a matter of terms and arrangement. She had a passion for equity, and perhaps it was because of this that she excelled in mathematics."

The whole tale is full of interest, and even this briefest of quotations is rich with wit. Makes you long for the writers of yore.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
Peace, is that your definition, or did you find it somewhere? I very much like it.

Bethree, thanks for that great link.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pearce
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kalleh:
Peace, is that your definition, or did you find it somewhere? I very much like it.

Bethree, thanks for that great link.

Peace for Pearce? Now that's wit.
I claim no originality, it came from one of the Oxford Dictionaries, can't remember which one, probably the full OED online. As Christams approaches I'm too lazy to check. Aaaah. Wink

Posts: 424 | Location: Yorkshire, EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post