Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Brat Ban Login/Join

Picture of Kalleh
posted
The terminology " brat ban " is new to me, though the concept of "no kids allowed" isn't of course. However, we seem to be going through a "brat ban" period in the U.S. Some are saying it's because the baby boomers are aging, but frankly I don't agree that's the reason. There are always grandchildren! Others are saying fewer couples are choosing to have kids, but I am not sure I agree with that either.

Is the "brat ban" terminology (or concept) popular in England or Canada? I am guessing no.

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BobHale
posted Hide Post
I've never heard it.

"No man but a blockhead ever wrote except for money." Samuel Johnson.

Posts: 9421 | Location: EnglandReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arnie
posted Hide Post
I've never heard it either. I googled the phrase and the first four pages of hits were all American sites, so it doesn't seem to have crossed the pond - at least, not yet.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Posts: 10940 | Location: LondonReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bethree5
posted Hide Post
This was the subject of a DrPhil show about a month ago (to which I admit to browsing now & then Red Face). A good time was had by all at the comments site, bashing those awful moms & dads who let their kids wreak havoc in public.

Tempest in a teapot.

Posts: 2605 | Location: As they say at 101.5FM: Not New York... Not Philadelphia... PROUD TO BE NEW JERSEY!Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kalleh
posted Hide Post
I think there is a middle line with this. In the editorial I cited, apparently some people think kids shouldn't travel by plane! That is ridiculous. Kids have to visit their grandmas or go to Disneyland or whatever. However, I also think parents need to be a little more realistic about kids in restaurants or stores. I have seen kids scream at the top of their lungs or run around like crazy. If a kid is that crabby (it happens to all of us), please take him out of the restaurant!

I wonder if "brat ban" will be one of those "words of the year."

Posts: 24735 | Location: Chicago, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post