Wordcraft Community Home Page
Personalities

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/1231006165

September 23, 2008, 21:04
wordcrafter
Personalities
What could be more fascinating than human beings, in all our endless variety? This week we’ll present some nouns and adjectives for describing various personalities in our lives.

loquacious – given to much talking; very talkativeMW says that the word loquacious “suggests the power of expressing oneself articulately, fluently, or glibly.” I disagree: to me the word usually focuses on the high quantity of free and easy speech, regardless of its quality. But hey! I’m not the expert.
September 25, 2008, 11:55
wordcrafter
Here are two other shadings of the general concept of talkativeness.

garrulous [noun form: garrulity] – talkative – usually in a negative sense of being long and rambling, wordy; or trivial; and tedious, tiresome and annoying).

Typically applied to the elderly, with the condescending sense of “Well, we can be charitable toward the old fool.”
voluble – talkative (stressing fluency or glibness; rapid and ready of speech)

September 25, 2008, 15:48
<Proofreader>
quote:
I disagree: to me the word usually focuses on the high quantity of free and easy speech, regardless of its quality.

Verbose?
September 25, 2008, 21:50
wordcrafter
scapegrace – an incorrigible scamp; a rascal. (Often with the semi-complimentary sense of “a likeable rascal”.)
September 26, 2008, 19:06
wordcrafter
Here's an little-known word for a very common personality. We all know this type of person. Many of us are this type of person. It’s nice to have a name for it.

misocapnist – person who hates tobacco smoke
September 27, 2008, 22:42
wordcrafter
A no-nonsense, colorful word today.

crepe-hanger – a gloomy pessimist; a kill-joy
[originally, one who hung up crepe (black silk, formerly used for mourning clothes) as a sign of mourning. Also spelled with the hyphen omitted, either as one word or as two separate words.]
September 28, 2008, 19:59
wordcrafter
pillockBritish: a stupid person; a fool, an idiot [orig. Scottish for “penis”]

Apparently an unkind word not to be used in good company, and used figuratively (“You stupid pillock!”) rather than literally. Can our British readers explain further?Bonus Word:
haver
1. Scottish: to talk foolishly; babble. 2. British: to act in an indecisive manner.
September 28, 2008, 21:41
Kalleh
quote:
misocapnist – person who hates tobacco smoke
I love it! While I haven't worked in pulmonology for a few years now, I should know this word, but I hadn't heard of it. I am familiar with the words hypercapnia and hypocapnia, which relate to increased or decreased amounts of carbon dioxide in the blood. I know that they originate from the Greek word kapnos, meaning smoke. Obviously this word also derives from kapnos.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kalleh,
September 29, 2008, 07:19
arnie
quote:
[orig. Scottish for “penis”]

Apparently an unkind word not to be used in good company, and used figuratively (“You stupid pillock!”) rather than literally. Can our British readers explain further?

Um ...

I think it's rather obvious why it's not used much in polite company, bearing in mind its literal meaning.

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
September 29, 2008, 09:53
jerry thomas
I've heard sailors say, "Don't call him a prick -- that's part of a MAN !!"
October 02, 2008, 00:13
rainman
ultracrepidarian - beyond one's knowledge or province; pertaining to opinions given on matters beyond one's knowledge.

You have been well-called an ultracrepidarian critic.
October 02, 2008, 07:59
Kalleh
Welcome rainman! Nice to see you here, and that is a great word.
October 03, 2008, 02:06
rainman
Thanks for your welcome Kalleh.
October 03, 2008, 05:53
bethree5
quote:
Originally posted by rainman:
ultracrepidarian - beyond one's knowledge or province; pertaining to opinions given on matters beyond one's knowledge.

hmm, this reminds me of a debater I was just watching last night...
October 03, 2008, 11:39
arnie
Male or female? Wink

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.
October 03, 2008, 11:55
jerry thomas
When she said she knows about Foreign Policy because Russia is visible from Alaska, someone wrote, "I can see the moon. Does that make me an astronaut?"
October 03, 2008, 13:14
<Proofreader>
Her international experience is even broader now because when she was in Arizona, she could see Mexico.
October 03, 2008, 17:30
Kalleh
We've discussed ultracrepidarian here before, and I love the way it evolved. Scroll down to Wordnerd's explanation.
October 03, 2008, 19:47
Myth Jellies
Well as long as we've got pillock here, we might as well have a couple of his archaic friends derived from the old scrotum

cullion - a mean and despicable wretch
cully - a fool or dupe; also to fool or cheat.

[Middle English coilon, testicle, from Old French coillon, from Latin culleus, bag.]

Myth Jellies
Cerebroplegia--the cure is within our grasp
October 05, 2008, 17:42
rainman
entheomania (noun) - an abnormal state in which one thinks one
is inspired.
Some of our politicians are given to bouts of entheomania.