Wordcraft Community Home Page
Recent Terms

This topic can be found at:
https://wordcraft.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/756604565/m/125100722

July 06, 2009, 08:47
wordcrafter
Recent Terms
New terms are constantly being created. There are people who track such things, and people who cull those trackings to select the best, the most useful, the most amusing, or the most likely to succeed. This week we present some of those cullings.

social notworking – spending time unproductively on social networking websites, especially when one should be working
July 09, 2009, 21:01
wordcrafter
social network fatigue – becoming overwhelmed by invitations to join various social networks
July 10, 2009, 16:28
wordcrafter
social notworking . . . social network fatigue: new names for new phenomena

Most of the terms, in this theme of recently-created terms, refer to something newly developed. But here's a term, coined less than two decades ago, for something that has always been a frequent and familiar part of everyday life. Strange that this something had never had a name.

popcorn storm – a short, unexpected rain shower that disappears as abruptly as it appeared

Here are an early example and a very recent one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,
July 11, 2009, 15:41
wordcrafter
A general term, and an example.

niche dating – choosing whom one dates based upon a very narrow set of criteria
ecosexual – one who chooses their partner based upon a shared interest in eco-conscious causes
July 13, 2009, 06:46
wordcrafter
junior moment – an immature act performed by an adult who has lapsed into childish behavior (cousin of the senior moment)
July 13, 2009, 23:41
tinman
I've never heard of "junior moment" before. Word Spy traces it to February 20, 2000.

quote:
House Fiscal Analyst Elise Read, after stumbling a few times trying to explain the tobacco settlement in a room packed with dozens of House members, pleaded for mercy. "I'm nervous," she said. "I can do this at the committee level, but I'm not used to this many people." "Don't worry," said House Speaker Pro Tem Peppi Bruneau, R-New Orleans. "We all have our senior moments. You're just having a junior moment."
—"Briefing book," Times-Picayune, February 20, 2000

July 14, 2009, 09:42
wordcrafter
geo-fencing – setting of physical boundaries (for a person, animal, etc.) with a GPS tracking system