Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recent Terms Login/Join

Picture of wordcrafter
posted
New terms are constantly being created. There are people who track such things, and people who cull those trackings to select the best, the most useful, the most amusing, or the most likely to succeed. This week we present some of those cullings.

social notworking – spending time unproductively on social networking websites, especially when one should be working
    Slim-line, modern and slick, this metal and glass computer desk features a pull-out keyboard worktop and shelf, perfect for wasting time social "not-working".
    The Ten Best Desks, Independent Extra, Aug. 11, 2008

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
social network fatigue – becoming overwhelmed by invitations to join various social networks
    When there are dozens of online networks out there, each with different sets of friends and communities, the Web world is suffering from social network fatigue. For starters, there's Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, Twitter, Last.Fm, Plaxo, Flickr, Friendster, hi5, Multiply, Pownce. But who wants to create yet another profile, and ask your friends if they want to be your friends -- again.
    – Miami Herald, Feb. 29, 2008 (ellipses omitted)

. . .But at what stage will users get fed up with all the networking? John Battelle, founder of [an] online marketing-services company, said he has SNF—social network fatigue. "The biggest issue with any application that asks you to declare your friends and who you are interested in knowing is it is a fair amount of work," says Battelle.
    . . .Yet it's that very sense of frustration with social networks that's spurring on the newbies. A user who's had it with the requests to connect from LinkedIn or from fellow Facebookers may be all the more likely to retreat to a smaller, more specialized circle of fellow activists.
    – Business Week, Sept. 24, 2007 (ellipses omitted)

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
social notworking . . . social network fatigue: new names for new phenomena

Most of the terms, in this theme of recently-created terms, refer to something newly developed. But here's a term, coined less than two decades ago, for something that has always been a frequent and familiar part of everyday life. Strange that this something had never had a name.

popcorn storm – a short, unexpected rain shower that disappears as abruptly as it appeared

Here are an early example and a very recent one.
    I've become a lot more tolerant of weather forecasts that are wrong. I've seen enough 'popcorn' storms to appreciate how difficult forecasting really is. These are storms that pop up, and then half an hour later they're gone.
    – Chicago Tribune, July 22, 1991

Bad news is that it is looking more clear that storms may impact our 4th of July weekend. A scenario is setting up where overnight MCS storms will plow southeast into our viewing area and then we will have the afternoon popcorn storm chances as well.
    – KSPR TV weather blog, June 29, 2009, Springfield, MO

This message has been edited. Last edited by: wordcrafter,

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
A general term, and an example.

niche dating – choosing whom one dates based upon a very narrow set of criteria
ecosexual – one who chooses their partner based upon a shared interest in eco-conscious causes
    Looking for a Catholic mate? Try CatholicSingles.com. A Jewish mate? JDate.com. A lesbian partner? Grrl2grrl.com. An eco-friendly mate? Green-Passions.com. A fellow single parent? SingleParentLove.com. A Latino life partner? Amigos.com. Only interested in dating a fellow golfer? There's GolfMates.com. If there was ever a stigma against online dating, the depth of niche dating sites is one major sign that the stigma is over.
    – Nell Merlino, Stepping Out of Line: Lessons for Women Who Want It Their Way

. . ."Green" is the latest trend in niche dating. Eco-sensitive singles are like anyone else: They have to find that special person first. To fill the green gap, eco-dating websites are springing up, and green jargon has now expanded to include the word "ecosexual" … "an evolving breed of city dweller for whom keeping green is every bit as important in their romantic life as in their choice of household cleanser, dinner food or wall paint."
    . . .But can we really choose our mates using the same criteria as we use for our bathroom cleanser? The thought of lonely ecosexuals cruising -- on their bikes -- for someone to hook up with for coffee (don't forget your helmet and reusable mug) is beyond depressing.
    – Vancouver Sun, Green is the new colour of love / Ecosexuals need not look further than the Internet, Aug. 30, 2008 (ellipses omitted)

Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
junior moment – an immature act performed by an adult who has lapsed into childish behavior (cousin of the senior moment)
    . . .I called Jasmine's cell phone from a cab. "Hey"" she answered. "Are you coming? Allison just got here." I could hear the buzz of a bar crowd in the background.
    . . ."I just had a cancellation," I lied, not wanting to seem eager. "Maybe I'll drop by for a drink. After I finish up at Bloomie's." Okay, so I was having a Junior Moment, playing hard to get with my girlfriends; but my decision to hit Bloomingdale's on the way downtown was eminently mature.
    – Tracy Quan, Diary of a Manhattan Call Girl (ellipses omitted)

posted Hide Post
I've never heard of "junior moment" before. Word Spy traces it to February 20, 2000.

quote:
House Fiscal Analyst Elise Read, after stumbling a few times trying to explain the tobacco settlement in a room packed with dozens of House members, pleaded for mercy. "I'm nervous," she said. "I can do this at the committee level, but I'm not used to this many people." "Don't worry," said House Speaker Pro Tem Peppi Bruneau, R-New Orleans. "We all have our senior moments. You're just having a junior moment."
—"Briefing book," Times-Picayune, February 20, 2000

Posts: 2878 | Location: Shoreline, WA, USAReply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wordcrafter
posted Hide Post
geo-fencing – setting of physical boundaries (for a person, animal, etc.) with a GPS tracking system
    It's Tuesday morning; do you know the precise geographic co-ordinates of your children? … Many cellphone companies promote "geo-fencing," a service that notifies parents when their child approaches physical locations they have tagged, such as a boyfriend's house or a dangerous neighbourhood.
    – Toronto Globe and Mail, Mar. 25, 2008

[Airport] employee passes finally … are still not based on geo-fencing. They should be. If they were, employees would have access only to areas in which they are authorized to work, at times they are scheduled. Otherwise, alarms would go off.
    – Toronto Globe and Mail, Dec. 11, 2008